Who is the Designated Ugly Fat Friend?

Sarah Earnshaw, Reporter

On February 20 this last weekend, a new comedy arrived at theaters across the country. The hilarious film aroused a question all those trapped within the stereotypes of high school. That question is, “Who is the Duff?” As guessed, the movie is Duff, based off of the novel, The Duff: Designated Ugly Fat Friend.

Although, there are tons of friends within a high school environment, each person is part of a smaller, closer friendship. Generally consisting of two to four people, each person in the group has their stereotype. The pretty one, the smart one, and..the duff?

The acronym stands for Designated Ugly Fat Friend, but it’s not meant in a “mean” way. It’s a label that does not imply that you’re the not-necessarily-ugly friend, but that you’re the one that’s not as pretty as the other ones. Although a harsh term, the show seems to demonstrate that there is someone like that in every group.

The cliche movie has all the stereotypes needed to make a movie as predictable as they did; including the  the “mean girl,” the “jock,” the “cute musician,” and, of course, “the Duff.” The movie was able to pull off the perfect “high school-like” movie, with even the right kind of immature humor.

With a whopping 7.1 out 10 star rating from IMDb and a 3 out of 5 star rating from Rotten Tomatoes, the movie has done fairly well for the hour and a half of time it is on the screen.

“I always felt like the ‘ugly girl’ in high school, so when I was introduced to the word during my senior year, I knew I was the Duff. The idea of writing a book with DUFF as the title started as a joke, but when I realized that my friends felt like Duffs, too, I knew I had to write this story,” said Kody Keplinger, the author of the novel, said on her website kodykeplinger.com. During her senior year in  western Kentucky, Keplinger wrote the novel during her senior year of high school.

Just as it fits into the high school stereotypes, Keplinger is writing another novel based within the same area, called LOL: Lying Out Loud. It will be available for all readers April 28th.