Ben Rigby Commits to BYU Baseball

Spencer Hill

Jacob Sonne, Sports Editor

This year multiple athletes who have been stars of the Davis sports program have signed agreements to take their skills to the collegiate level. Senior Ben Rigby decided to play baseball for Brigham Young University (BYU) after receiving multiple baseball offers and a basketball offer from Weber State.

“My sophomore year I didn’t play baseball because I was getting exposure for basketball,” Rigby said, “But in basketball these last couple of years I’ve struggled a little bit and in baseball this last year I excelled more and I really loved playing.”

Much of the success he has seen has been a result of the opportunities he has been given on the Davis baseball team.

“We’re playing on a high level, so I think that we’ve gotten used to playing against good competition,” Rigby said.

Rigby also received baseball offers from the University of Hawai’i and Liberty University. While he obviously has had a love for both sports, BYU was the most appealing school and athletic program to him.

“I’ve always wanted to go to BYU and I like the environment down there,” Rigby said. “I like the coaches and I’ve known them for a couple years. I love it down there.”

Along with the benefit of knowing the coaches, BYU also has the promise of new facilities and a nationwide fanbase.

“I know they are getting a new field and it’s all turf in a heated system,” Rigby said. “I’m really excited to play for coach Littlewood and the environment of course; BYU fans are awesome.”

Rigby plans to serve a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Santiago, Chile, and he feels like the break from baseball is something he can use to his advantage.

“It’s going to be hard to come back and stuff,” Rigby said. “But I think that it will be a good rest on my arm for a couple of years and it will help me in the long run because I will be resting it and preparing it for two years.”