Davis’ Overpopulation Problem

Jaedon Johnson, Reporter

Davis High School is often esteemed for being one of the best high schools in the state for both academia and athletics. But there’s a cost with being the best: everyone wants to join in. Overpopulation is a growing issue at Davis High. It can be quite intimidating to incoming sophomores, especially ones that come from smaller schools.

“I would want to have less crowded hallways and [to] be able to open the locker,” sophomore Addie Walley said.

Walley expressed some extreme discomfort at school in regards to commuting and mobility. In contrast, there are other students who enjoy a big-school experience and find several peers to connect with.

“I feel like I have lots of friends who are on the lookout and it’s nice to feel included,” sophomore class president Luke Bowers said.

Luke is the sophomore class president at Davis High School and has spent time talking with other officers on the matter of reaching out to sophomores who are in need of friends.

“Yeah I like school and I like meeting new people,” Bowers said.

In such a big school, one might assume that it’s be easy to make new friends. But in reality, it may hurt a student’s chance of branching out due to cliques and friend groups.

“I don’t know most of the areas,” Walley said.

So the question is: what could bring people like Bowers and Walley together? Bowers answers this question perfectly.

“[My favorite thing about Davis] is probably seeing all the people who all have that same sort of sense of school pride and all of them love Davis. It’s nice to see how everyone kind of gets along in that same sort of way,” Bowers said.

School pride is the crux of Davis High. In unifying with one another towards a common goal of increasing school unity, sophomores could have less fear and more courage at school.