Juniors Should Prepare for ACT Test in February

Bentley Holley

The writing portion of the ACT can be taken by anyone. Although it is optional, it is highly recommended. While many people would rather swim in electric piranha infested acid than take another hour long test, it can be very helpful when applying for colleges. The writing portion of the ACT is sometimes a required test get into Ivy League or other major colleges such as Yale, MIT and Cornell. In fact, most private universities require the writing portion. The reason why it was added is interesting and quite simple.

“It was added 12 years ago, maybe a little longer, because some colleges wanted to see how students were doing on their writing. Writing is a big indicator of how well students would do in college,” said ACT prep teacher Mrs. Leavitt.

With the Junior ACT coming up, students are curious as to whether or not they will be taking the writing portion, as well as how the writing portion of the test affects their overall score.

“The State of Utah has added the writing section to the test that we’re taking in February, because the state would like to measure how students who are Juniors are doing in their writing,” Leavitt said, when looking ahead to the mandatory Junior ACT. “You typically get five scores when you take the ACT. You get an English, Math, Reading, and Science, and then you get a composite which is the average of the first four. On the writing, you get two more scores. You get a writing score, out of 36, and they combine the English and Writing, to make a combined score. They call that your ELA score,” Leavitt said.

When you have the choice to take the test, remember that it is an added bonus it doesn’t affect your overall score very much. But like all the tests, it takes practice and studying.

“Just like most things, practice. Practice, practice, practice,” Senior Nathan Nielson said.

Like the other parts of the ACT, the school has a prep class on certain days. If you want good advice on whether or not you should take the test, ask Mrs. Leavitt or one of the other ACT prep teachers.

“It shows a little bit more about how smart you are if you take the writing section. If you do good it’s a good thing, and if you don’t do so great, it’s still good to have,” Senior Matthew Hatch said.