Boys Basketball State Championship: A war well fought

Rachel Bennett

More stories from Rachel Bennett

This past week the Davis High Boys Basketball team had the opportunity to compete in the quarter finals, semi-finals, and state championship games to compete for the state title. Although the Darts did not win the final battle, these players fought vigorously throughout the entire season to achieve greatness and ended the season with a record of 23-2.

On Wednesday, February 26 the Darts faced Thunder of West Lake High School in the Quarter Finals game with a score of 62-49 allowing the Darts to advance to the Semi-Finals. This game was a jersey out for the MOB and these students helped bring energy and support to the team with an Alumni student, Justin, who graduated in 2005 leading the MOB with the foul shot cheers, “Whoop there it is!”

On Friday, February 28 the Darts faced the Knights of Lone Peak taking the win in the Semi-Finals with a score of 63-61 and finally advancing to the final Championship game. The Darts were down during the first three quarters, but made the ultimate come back by scoring 26 points in the 4th quarter. This was a white out for the MOB, per request of the players, with even more students in attendance than the last game.

On Saturday, February 29 the Darts faced the toughest and most important battle of the entire season in the Championship game against the Fremont Silver Wolves. This game result in the 2nd loss for Darts with a score of 55-52 and concluded the 2019-2020 season for the Darts. This was a camo-out for the MOB with the ultimate turn out of students dominating two entire sections of the Jon M. Huntsman Center.

These players are loved by so many and led Davis High School to something far greater than a Championship. They put a group of guys together whose only common ground was their love for basketball, and created a brotherhood with their teammates and coaches that can never be replaced. These players were able to create memories for the students of Davis High and allow them the opportunity to put their differences aside and come together as one to support each other and the people that represent their school.

The 2019-2020 varsity basketball team worked and fought so hard for to get to the Championship, an amazing achievement for the team. They put their blood, sweat, and tears into this game and this season. These players only lost two games the entire season because each and everyone of those boys were committed to the game, their teammates, and their school.

The team that backs these players goes beyond teammates and coaches it extends to the parents, students, teachers, and a community that supported and cheered on these players through out the entire season. A big thank you to these players for offering such an amazing experience to the supporters of Davis High Basketball and congratulations 2nd in State and a phenomenal season that will go down in Davis High History.