Favorite Meals Made by My Mother
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Stop Vaping
Julia Adams, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Top 10 Day Date Ideas
Bella Edwards, Journalist • April 23, 2024
The Unheard Voices of MMIW
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 22, 2024

Utah Winter Activities

Many people who live in Utah will tell you that their favorite time of year is winter. Thesepeople typically have a couple things in common with each other. One is that they love thesnow and find a way to use it for their enjoyment. The other is that they love the mountain andfind a way to use them in the winter.However many people you ask will contradict this. Some people hate the cold wheather,snow, short days, and so on. These people also tend to not find a way to enjoy the snow, andtypically don’t find a way to enjoy the mountains in winter. Unfortunately for people like thisthere is no escaping the reality of winter.If you are a winter hater this article is for you. These are a few activity ideas that mightjust make your winter more enjoyable. They will range from expensive, cheap, all day activities,short ones, athletic activities, and easy activities.Skiing: Utah is known to do at least one thing best and that is provide the greatest skiexperience to its citizens. With 15 major ski resorts in Utah, you have plenty of choices.Beginners can pick smaller resorts that offer cheaper rates, or pick a resort that offer cheaperpasses for beginnersExperienced skiers can get passes to world famous resorts such as snowbasin, Alta,Snowbird, Park City, etc. If you are indecisive and can’t pick one resort then you have the optionof the icon pass.The Icon pass allows you to go to any ski resort that has collaborated with Icon for 7days-Unlimited days depending on the resort. Some Resorts in Utah include Snowbasin,Brighton, Snowbird, and Solitude.Tubing: If skiing is to expensive, to much of a commitment, or you simply don’t want to,you have the option to tube. This still allows you to go into the mountains while enjoying theview and snow.There are multiple tubing hills and ski resorts that offer tubing. These places typicallyhave a way to take you up the hill so you don’t have to walk. This can be a fun activity withfriends and family and typically allows you to go faster and enjoy the snow more than sledding.If you don’t want to pay as much however you still have the option to buy a sled andtake matters into your own hands.Snowshoeing/Winter Hike: If you enjoy summer because you enjoy hiking and spendingtime in the mountains then this might be for you. Snowshoeing is a way to still hike in themountains and get outstanding views when there is lots of snow on the ground.There are many popular snowshoe trails to explore. You can purchase snowshoes atplaces such as REI or Local outdoor sporting goods. Many places also offer the option to rent.

If there is less snow on the ground then maybe you would just prefer to hike in yournormal boots. If this is what you want to do then shoe spikes are recommended. You can buythese at just about any sporting store and they allow you to conquer hiking trails in the winterwithout the fear of slipping on ice.Ice skating: Utah offers a couple beautiful outdoor and indoor ice skating rinks. You alsohave the option of ice skating on lakes if the water has frozen enough.Ice skating is a classic winter activity. If you never have ice skated before many placesoffer assistance devices to help you learn. This isn’t an all day activity and doesn’t requiremuch. All you need is some warm clothes and skates.Most rinks offer skate rentals you can use one time. If you decide to be ice skate on alake you will need to get your own skates. You should also be experienced and learn the safetyrules before stepping onto the lake.Christmas Activities: Although Christmas is only part of winter it is still worthmentioning. Utah offers many great Christmas activities escpically in salt lake and ogden. Someof these include, Christmas lights, Ogden Christmas village, Christmas musuems, and so on.Utah is surrounded by mountains and snow which gives it a classic Christmas vibe. Thecities and towns of Utah are usually litered with lights and decorations that take little to noeffort to see.However if you are up for the challenge a local hike you can do is right in kaysville. Thisis the hike to the star on the mountain. This takes some efforts and proper equipment but atthe top you are met with a beautiful view of the valley and lights.Cross Country Skiing: If you liked the idea of skiing but also liked the idea of a winterhike than this is the perfect inbetween. Cross Country skiing is an activity that takes a pair ofvery skinny skis and has you travel down and up hill.

Utah offers many cross country trails with most of them being free and completelygroomed. You can rent or buy cross country skis at ski shops and sporting goods. Once you havethe setup you will be met with a beautiful and challenging workout.Hopefully this article could help you find something new to do this winter. Utah offersmany activities to keep us entertained during these short cold days of winter. These are just afew ideas.The key to enjoying Utah in winter however isn’t doing anything on this list. The bestthing you can do is remembering where you live and taking advantage of it. Utah typically haslight powdery snow on top of steep beautiful moutnians.The only thing hodling you back from unlimited fun is not being willing to step out ofyour comfort zone, or not being creative enough. So get out there and try to enjoy it, or don’t.Either way winter is here to stay and we just have to find a way to ride it out until warmerweather arrives