Learn to Love Boredom

Learn to Love Boredom
The world has evolved so drastically over the past century. The way technology andurban life has advanced has been a huge benefit to the world, but it has also caused manydrawbacks. Because things are made and used so quickly, it has made life a race against time.Our lives are filled with constant engagement twenty-four-seven, and when there is a break,thanks to the creation of social media, it’s filled with continual entertainment. We, as a society,have lost the ability to live in the moment, to take time to breathe, to just be. We have alsoconditioned our brains to think of boredom as a bad thing, but it can actually better you in somany ways.Back in colonial times, people had responsibilities and purpose, but it was simple. Theykept to their one thing. They worked hard, but they had the ability to plow fields for hours on endor tend to their livestock with no interruptions. They kept it simple and could sit with their ownthoughts. As the Industrial Revolution evolved and urbanization advanced, machinery andtechnology took over the need for that intense but simple labor. Machines could make goods inan instant compared to the hours needed to when making it by hand. Everything sped up, andcivilization turned their priorities to much more fast-paced and mentally stimulating jobs. Ourworld has made it seem like we always have to be productive. There is no time for breaks!Which is just so wrong. This switch has also made us accustomed to needing instant gratificationand stimulation and made us lose the ability to be bored.Not only has the day-to-day life become more so busy and rushed, but our time seems tojust as stimulation for the brain. As soon, as there is a quiet moment, we pull out our phones andstart scrolling. One-hundredth and fifty years ago, if someone had a moment to relax, they wouldread, have a nice conversation, sit with their own thoughts, etc. Nowadays, if there is anydowntime at all, we do not know what to do with ourselves, and again, we whip out that phone.We instantly see all these brightly colored, fast-moving, purposefully engaging pictures andvideos. It seems the only time we ever give our brain a break is when we sleep.Our brains are constantly working and thinking. Even when you don’t realize it, it’scoming up with solutions, making decisions, and possessing things. The brain is a devoted andcomplex organ, but it has its limits. Think of your mind like a car; if you never pressed the brakeand kept the gas pumping, you would eventually run out of gas and overload the engine. Thesame applies to us. We need to give our minds time to regenerate and calm. Or else it will not beable to do these unnoticed but extremely important things.With our fast-pumping society, it feels impossible to take time to stop, but it can actuallyspark creativity and make more productivity to help with later tasks. A Neuroscientist, AliciaWalf, states, “Boredom can actually foster creative ideas, refilling your dwindling reservoir,replenishing your work mojo, and providing an incubation period for embryonic work ideas to

hatch. In those moments that might seem boring, empty, and needless, strategies and solutions
that have been there all along in some embryonic form are given space and come to life.”An article by Heal Your Nerves system states, “Overstimulation can absolutely causestress, anxiety, and/or burnout. When our brains are constantly bombarded with sensoryinformation or have to process too much complex information, we can become overwhelmed andexhausted. This can lead to feelings of stress, tension, irritability, and exhaustion.” So, not onlyis it healing for your brain to take breaks, but it can also be dangerous if you don’t. We aredelicate creatures, both physically and mentally. It is important to take care of your mind.Alongside things like burnout, constant stimulation has collectively shortened oursociety’s attention span. With the creation of platforms like TikTok, Instagram Reals, andYouTube Shorts, our brains are becoming accustomed to short entertainment. These short-formvideos have so much stimulation within a few short seconds; you swipe up, and boom, anotherextremely engaging video. There is so much stimulation happening over and over. Which thenaffects us in our daily lives. We have lost the ability to do things like eat food, do laundry, andgo on walks without a video, podcast, or music playing in the background.Now you know it’s time to change, but how do you do it? It is simple, really; just startsmall. Start by doing one task without your phone a day. Once that gets easy, start adding more“away from the phone time.” It will get easier over time, and then you can start incorporatingtime to just be. Sit outside and just sit. Do a ten to twenty-minute meditation. Take a shower withno music! Once you break it down its a simple thing to accomplish. You might even start to seechanges in your life. Your anxiety might start to silence, your brain fog might start to clear, andyou may even come up with fun new ideas, or at least better processes the ones you already have.Our world has changed and evolved so much over the years, but we cannot let ourselvesget too caught up in this chaotic world. Think about how things used to be and know you cankeep that same mindset with a little effort. Remember that it is okay to be bored sometimes. It iseven a good thing! It can be dangerous to let yourself be so overstimulated, and you do not wantit to lead to burnout. So, do not let yourself give boredom a bad rap, and start incorporating itinto your busy everyday life. It will make you and the world a better place.