Favorite Meals Made by My Mother
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Stop Vaping
Julia Adams, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Top 10 Day Date Ideas
Bella Edwards, Journalist • April 23, 2024
The Unheard Voices of MMIW
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 22, 2024

The Scarlet Pimpernel at Davis High

The Scarlet Pimpernel at Davis High

Davis High School’s theater and stage crew did their own version of The ScarletPimpernel. The play was an exciting adaptation of the classic book. The Scarlet pimpernelcontained beautiful sets, impressive stunts, engaging acting performances, and powerful music.Overall, Davis High School’s The Scarlet Pimpernel is very fun entertainment. Fans of theoriginal source material of The Scarlet pimpernel and newcomers are going to love the play.Personally, I have had no prior exposure to the Scarlet Pimpernel, but I loved the play and foundit to be very exhilarating, especially all of the surprises. Our very own Davis High theater andstage crew worked very hard on this play, and it definitely shows. Their work very much paid offin the final product.When asked his favorite part about being in The Scarlet Pimpernel, George Hickman,who plays Farleigh, had this to say “I love being able to hang out with all of my friends everyday after school. I think it is so amazing that we can all come together to create somethingabsolutely breathtaking and beautiful.” George gave a standout comedic performance asFarleigh, and brought a lot of his passion into the role.The sets by the talented stage crew are nothing short of fantastic. The set contains twogrand staircases that have a beautiful hallway connecting them, which allows for lots of action totake place. The guillotine that is shown in several scenes is particularly realistic and undeniablymenacing. The most impressive piece of The Scarlet Pimpernel’s set has got to be the rotatingplatform. The rotating platform allowed for certain perspectives to be seen from a unique way,that otherwise would not have been possible without it. When they first used the rotatingplatform in the show there were literal gasps of awe in the crowd. Tt seemed that everybody wasimpressed that something so cool could be in a High School production.A junior at Davis High School, Caroline Wilson, went to The Scarlet Pimpernel threetimes in a week, she explained this about why she went so many times. “I went the first timewith a friend, and the next day my mom asked if I wanted to go with our family, and then wewent again after that because I wanted to show them the other cast, I saw the first time. Sam wassuper funny and made it fun to watch, and Bronco played his character so well. The two of themplayed so well together and made it so funny.” This shows that students and families alike areeager to go see Davis High School’s The Scarlet Pimpernel.There are two casts of main characters for The Scarlet Pimpernel. The “brown” castconsists of Sam Jones as Percy Blakeney, Meggie Huggard as Marguerite St. Just, BroncoMaxfield as Chauvelin, and Cosette Stevenson as Marie Grosholtz. The “gold” cast contains WillHoagland as Percy Blakeney, Hailey Luke as Marguerite St. Just, Josh Franson as Chauvelin,and Berlyn Jordan as Marie Grosholtz. Both casts are worth seeing for a different take on thecharacters.The acting performances in Davis High School’s The Scarlet Pimpernel had the audiencecheering like it’s a football game. The director of the production, Michael Wright, shared wordsof encouragement for loud cheering at anything that that you liked or thought was impressive orcool. Michael Wright told the audience that it is perfectly okay to treat the play like a sports

game, because the people who are in the play and work behind the scenes love the fan response.The performances, particularly from the leads definitely warranted the rowdy audience behavior.Former Davis High student who returned to her old high school to see the play, KennedyParker had this to say about the Scarlet Pimpernel. “The choreography and the costumes wereamazing, and I was really impressed with all of the lead voices, they were powerful. The setdesign was really cool as well.” The Scarlet Pimpernel seems to resonate with everyone whetheror not they attend Davis High School.The stunt work and choreography that was shown in The Scarlet pimpernel was veryimpressive, especially when you consider that this is a High School production ran by 15–18-year-olds. The fight scenes in the play move fluidly and you can tell that much work was put intolearning the fighting choreography. The same is true with the dance choreography, which wasstunning. There are some stunts in the play, especially involving the guillotine that will leavingyou wondering in awe how they pulled it off. The stunt work can be simply described as beinglike a magic trick, and just like a magic trick, it is so much fun to watch.Unfortunately, I have only been able to see the “brown” cast, but in my opinion, they dida fantastic job. Bronco Maxfield brings a powerful presence to his villainous character; he isperfect for his role. Sam Jones had the crowd laughing their heads off and was brilliant as thelead character; he was so energetic and bubbly on the stage. The entire cast did a phenomenaljob. Every actor brings a certain chemistry that plays so well with everybody else on stage. Therewas chemistry bouncing around everywhere in the show.The music in the Scarlet Pimpernel was simply beautiful, whether it be the singing fromthe on-stage talent or the background music. The music draws in the entire audience and capturesthem in the magic. The music at times can be emotional, head-bopping, fun, or even funny. Thesinging along with the music is truly powerful in The Scarlet Pimpernel.Davis High pulled off an amazing show with their portrayal of the Scarlet Pimpernel. Theplay achieved what it set out to do, it provided great entertainment that is worthwhile. There hasbeen amazing word of mouth going around about the show and it is surely deserved. The ScarletPimpernel is quite the impressive production that is for anyone and everyone. Congratulations toeveryone involved with the show!