The Office vs. Parks and Recreation


Two of the most popular TV shows on Netflix, The Office and Parks and Recreation, come head to head among Davis High School Students on which show is superior in both humor and content.

According to IMDb, The Office is a, “American mockumentary sitcom television series that depicts the everyday lives of office employees in the Scranton, Pennsylvania, branch of the fictional Dunder Mifflin Paper Company.” This show stars, Steve Carrell playing Michael Scott, the main character, along with John Karanski, Rainn Wilson, and Jenna Fischer as his co-stars.

According to IMDb, Parks and Recreation  is an, “American political satire sitcom television series featuring a mid-level bureaucrat in the Parks Department of Pawnee, a fictional town in Indiana.” This show stars, Amy Poehler playing Leslie Knope, the main character, along with Rashida Jones, Nick Offerman, and Chris Pratt as her co-stars.

Each of these shows depicts the working class and the everyday life for these people. The Office depicts the life of a office workers at a paper company, Parks and Recreation depicts the life government employees in an underrated department. They each add romance, drama, and conflict, while always adding humor to each of these factors, each show is practically a big joke, but which joke is funnier?

When Davis High Students were polled on this same question 70% of students said that they preferred The Office over Parks and Recreation, leaving the other 30% of students to favor Parks and Recreation over The Office, Davis High Students had this to say about The Office.

Davis High Senior, Landon Huffman stated that,

“The Office seems slightly more real. Expect for Dwight and Michael.”

Davis High Sophomore, Kort Brough said,

“The Office is just better.”

Adam Coles, Senior Class Officer, says he likes The Office better because of,

“Michael Scott.”

Emily Lindberg, a Senior at Davis High expresses that,

“Parks and Rec feels like it’s trying to be The Office, but I still love it tho.”

Many Students prefer The Office over Parks and Recreation, but students still had positive things to say about Parks and Recreation.

Bridger Robbins, a Davis High Senior, expresses that he likes Parks and Recreation over The Office because of,

“Ron Swanson.”

McKay Bennett, a Davis High Sophomore, says that he loves Parks and Recreation because,

“Star Lord is a God.”

The question has been answered by Davis High Students that The Office is superior to Parks and Recreation, but they are both spectacular shows. They each strive to make their audience laugh about normal everyday life that is often dismissed, by Hollywood productions, the life of the working class in the United States. All students can agree that each are humorous and should remain on Netflix.