Zero tolerance policy: dress code

As the 2013-1014 school year starts, there seems to be a lapse in memory about just how strict the dress code is.

“There should be (a zero tolerance policy) with the dress code.” Kathy Evans, Assistant Principal says. “The problem is if you think about it some kids come in and sit down in a desk, the teacher isn’t going to say in front of everybody, ‘Stand up, let me see what you’re wearing.’”

Students have found ways to cheat this Zero Tolerance policy. Methods include entering in at the non-main doors, avoiding administration, and changing clothes for the few minutes they have a member of the administration in front of them.

When caught, students will head out to their car to grab the jacket they’ve left there, knowing that they will be asked to change. With the warm weather students find it easier to wear less clothes. Tank tops, bare midriffs, shorts that don’t come down to the middle of your thigh are all items against the dress code.

“It’s warmer, you’ve got a cute tan, girls are always shocked with what we can allow them to wear and we cannot allow them to wear,” Evans said.

Sitting in class, it is hard to tell what students are wearing. You’re hidden behind a desk, or in the back of class, and teachers are unable to notice that what you’re wearing is not following the school policy.

“Our teachers could be more observant. We need teacher’s help, but they don’t want to get on the bad side of the students.” Evans says.

The school this year will be attempting to push the dress code harder than in past years. Students should be reminded of what comes into violation with this dress code by teachers, so as to help the administration with keeping the school a respectful place to learn.