Teachers are the key to student achievement

“Mrs. Laub: oh my goodness she is one of the best teachers ever!” exclaimed junior Ashkeya Hokanson. Now, what warrants such a bold declaration from students? An easy going teacher where not much is required of the class, or a teacher who pushes beyond comfort zones to help students grow?

“The teachers that really had an impact on my life are the ones that made me work hard and made me have to think. Those are the ones that make an impact in the long run. The teachers that don’t make you do anything, it’s fun while you’re there, but they don’t make that big of a difference,” said senior Emily Watson.

Hard work, and then later accomplishment, in the classroom is what seems leave a lasting impact on students. Teachers often hold a key role in how hard students are willing to work for success. Julie Laub, an honors chemistry teachers, gave her opinion on the matter.

“I think there are two fundamental aspects [to students being willing to work]. Number one that the teacher loves the students and that the students recognize that they’re treated as individuals. Number two I think it really helps when the teacher is passionate about what they do. Passion for your subject will splash onto the students and it’s something they’ll enjoy.”

That passion  for teaching  brought up by Laub seems to be a necessity for enjoyable yet efficient teachers. Both Hokanson and Watson used the word passion when describing their favorite teachers over the years.

“I like Mr.Wahlstrom and just the way he connected with the students. I can tell that he has a passion for what he does,” said Watson.

Besides a passion for teaching, Hokanson also mentioned a love for teachers considering students as individuals.

“I think teacher’s who are devoted to their occupation and the students themselves are the best teachers. Those are the teachers you feel on a personal level. Like this teacher doesn’t just see me as just a number on their chart, or a kid they have to get through because the school wants them to,” related Hokanson.

Only in perfect a world, however, could all teacher’s be passionate about their job and really love their students. Laub offered advice for when a class situation just isn’t working for a student-“If anything, go in with a positive attitude and you’ll be surprised how good things can be.”

So, whether or not teachers are ideal, it is ultimately up to the students to have a positive attitude make the classroom experience the best it can be.