Davis Bands Concert

More stories from Megan Muirbrook

Back to Article
Back to Article

Davis Bands Concert

Last Monday, December 17, Davis high school’s bands had their annual Christmas concert.

“Concerts are always really fun to perform at because we finally get to share our gifts with our friends, family, and peers.” said flute and saxophone player, Gabi Boi.

To start off, the percussion ensemble took the stage with an amazing performance of  Patapan by Wallace/Brooks. It was near flawlessly done and wasn’t even their best played piece that night. They also played Little Jazz Drummer Boy by Brooks/Madill, 12 Daze of Christmas by David Steinquest, and Robin Laid an egg by Jesse Mattson. In the song 12 Daze of Christmas it was written to have twelve different time signatures to symbolize the twelve days of Christmas as sang in the original song. It was a really hard piece, but they rocked it.

Next the Jazz band came in and played Walking in a Winter Wonderland by Peter Blair, Greensleeves by Gregory Yasinitsky, and Drummer Boy by Rob Holmes. In each of the songs there was a part for a soloist

After a thirty minute intermission the concert band made up of Sophomores came in and rocked a performance of Polar Express by Jerry Brubaker, Gesu Bambino by Pietro Yon, and Holiday Portraits by Sean O’Loughlin. They were fantastic at Polar Express and somehow continued to wow the audience with an even better performance with each song.

Following the concert band, the symphonic band came in with An American Christmas by Robert W Smith, Angels sing by Bill Calhoun, and Carol of  the Bells by Sean O’Loughlin. They played each song with minimal mistakes and made their most difficult piece, carol of the bells, seem easy.

To finish off the night, the wind ensemble played their pieces Joy of the Seasons by Sean O’Loughlin, Viktors Tale* by John Williams, and O Magnum Mysterium by Lauridsen. On O Magnum Mysterium a special guest, clarinet player Dr. Hagan. She played magnificently and charmed everyone in the audience with her playing.

At the very end of the night the wind ensemble ended with Sleigh Ride by LeRoy Anderson. Santa surprised the audience and came onto the stage, he conducted the band leaving an exciting end to the performances that night.

The bands worked hard for several months and accomplished something truly amazing.