Referees create problems

Ashton Weber

More stories from Ashton Weber

IT Chapter Two
May 23, 2019
Back to Article
Back to Article

Referees create problems

Los Angeles Rams' Nickell Robey-Coleman breaks up a pass intended for New Orleans Saints' Tommylee Lewis during the second half of the NFL football NFC championship game, Sunday, Jan. 20, 2019, in New Orleans. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

AP

AP

AP

There have been many missed calls and calls made in crucial times of sports games, but over the last couple months referees of sporting events have been heavily under fire due to calls being missed or made. Some of the calls that have been under the sporting world’s spotlight include, Kevin Durant’s save against the Houston Rockets which lead to a mid-range shot by Stephen Curry to send the game to over time, as well as the pass interference no call on a 3rd and 10 in the clash between the Rams and the Saints, which could have changed the outcome of the NFC championship game as well as the outcome of the Super Bowl. Referees have been making such calls for a long time and will continue to based on biases and dislike towards certain teams, but the question is, should there be consequences for these actions?

“I have to stop and realize I can’t control the call, I just have to play game,” said senior, Max Isaacson when asked how he felt when a ref makes a bad call.

The current system for all referees across all sports will always needs improving even with the “newest” and “best” technology. The current system is allowing referees to get away with whatever they want with little to no consequence. These referees need some form of punishment on if they effect the outcome of sporting events, whether its a fine or a suspension, etc., or even an incentive for making good calls throughout the game. If these changes are made it will make it more enjoyable for fans.

About the Writer
Ashton Weber, Contributor

I love long walks on the beach and watching High School Musical.