The Lakers Letdown Season

More stories from K.O. Fisher

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Lakers Letdown Season

SAN ANTONIO,TX - OCTOBER 27:  LeBron James #23 of the Los Angeles Lakers reacts after a turnover against the San Antonio Spurs at AT&T Center on October 27 , 2018  in San Antonio, Texas.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that , by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Ronald Cortes/Getty Images)

SAN ANTONIO,TX - OCTOBER 27: LeBron James #23 of the Los Angeles Lakers reacts after a turnover against the San Antonio Spurs at AT&T Center on October 27 , 2018 in San Antonio, Texas. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that , by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Ronald Cortes/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

The Lakers came into the 2018-2019 basketball season after receiving the best player in the world, LeBron James. LeBron was the addition to a very young and high potential team.

People had been hoping that, with LeBron’s experience and the young teams potential, they would find themselves in a playoff spot. As the season has gone on this is not the case. Injuries have cut the Lakers playoff hopes with LeBron suffering a groin injury on Christmas day that kept him out until the start of February.

During the time period that Lebron was out, the Lakers also lost another key player in Lonzo Ball. January 19, the Lakers traveled to Houston to face James Harden and the Rockets. During the middle of the game starting point guard, Lonzo Ball, landed funny and sprained his ankle. It was a grade 3 ankle sprain and new reports have said he is done for the season.

The Lakers came into the game against the Rockets with a 25-21 record, 4 games above .500. Since Lonzo Ball has been injured the Lakers have gone 6-16 without him. The Lakers sit at 31-36, 7 games behind the 8th seed in the West.

In addition to those injuries, key player Brandon Ingram is reportedly out for the season. The Lakers are now cutting back on LeBrons playing time and are looking forward to next season.