Farewell Davis High

Megan Harris

More stories from Megan Harris

Dear ol’ Davis High School,

I am now heading into one of my last weeks here as a student. My experience has been mostly good and has helped me discover who I am.

I remember coming to school on the first day of sophomore year. I was scared, timid, and felt judged for being who I wanted to be. Through the year I grew and met many people. I became less scared of the kids that were older than me. I started to realize that if I treat people as equal to me then they will respect me so much more. If you can do that, it will help build your confidence so much. It helped mine at least. I met people that will be my friends forever.

Junior year was a year of growth and fun. I felt like this was the best part of high school for me. I made relationships I know will last a lifetime. I spent weekends with my best friends. I remember doing things that were so simple, but I will remember forever. We spent a lot of time skiing, boating, watching movies, swimming and so many other things. I will forever cherish this time.

Senior year. This year I guess half of year for me haha, has been quite scary. I had to make decisions that will affect the rest of my life. I enjoyed the beginning of the year being able to cheer at the football games and be with friends but I just felt like I needed to be somewhere else. I didn’t feel happy and complete. I knew I had to do something about it, so I investigated graduating early. Everything I looked over or asked about completely fell into place. So, I decided to take a leap of faith.

I remember going up to Utah State University to go on a tour. I was so happy and excited and in awe. I felt like I needed to be there, and it was the place for me. On the way home my mom started crying and said “I don’t know how I am going to let you go, but I know you need to do this. I haven’t seen you this happy in a long time.” In this moment I knew I needed to do it. To have courage and realize, I am not making decisions for anyone but me. I don’t need to protect anyone or be there for anyone except myself during this time.

I encourage all of you reading this to take whatever leap of faith you feel will be important in your life. You only live this life once, so don’t take it for granted.

Sincerely, Megan Harris