How are students handling social distancing?

No one had heard of the term, “social distancing,” until a couple weeks ago, but now it has a massive impact on our schooling and social lives. How are Davis High students handling this new way of life?

Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic hit the United States Government Officials have been pushing this concept of social distancing. While it is definitely necessary to help curve the spread of the virus, it’s been a big blow to students’ routines and social lives.  Now, you can’t go to school, hang out with large groups of friends, or even grab a quick bite to eat at a fast food restaurant.

Everyone at Davis is handling this differently, but the general consensus is that they can’t wait for social distancing to end.

“Emotionally, I’m feeling really trapped,” said Emily Lindberg, a senior at Davis.

This has been a really hard time for students, especially seniors.  They have to miss out on one of their last two months of high school, and all students are missing the social interaction that comes with day to day life at school.

There are many ways to spend your time during social distancing, but the biggest challenge is staying connected with your friends.

“I’m using social media … FaceTiming, texting, and calling a lot more than I usually do,” said Emily when asked how she’s trying to stay connected with her friends.

People are turning to their phones now more than ever to talk with their friends, but no one wants this to continue to be their primary form of communication.

We all need some way to get through this, and that can be different for everyone.

“Take it one day at a time, keep (your) mind busy until it’s all over,” advises Jax Pearce, a Davis High senior.

Whatever your solution is, it seems clear that anything you can do to keep your mind off of the virus and the social distancing concept will make the next month a lot more bearable for you.