Trump Derangement Syndrome: Truth or Hoax?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Brady Karras

Ever since the 2016 election, there has been a lot of drama back and forth from people from both political parties. It has almost become mainstream for people to hate Trump. According to FiveThirtyEight.com’s polls, Trump has a 53% disapproval rate. A lot of his supporters are becoming more and more quiet about their support for him. Why is Trump so wildly unpopular? Is it because of his politics and diplomacy? Or is it because he has become a persona that’s social norm to hate?

A lot of recent news rallies have caused a big rise of suspicion about the Trump Derangement Syndrome. The Jussie Smollet and MAGA kid story shine a light on the fact that people are quick to judge  people who wear Trump’s merchandise. When the stories first came out, people were so certain that the stories presented were the truth because the antagonists were wearing “MAGA” hats, but it turns out Jussie Smollet lied about being attacked for his sexuality and his race by Trump supporters. Jussie in fact paid off 2 brothers to wear the “MAGA” hats and to “attack” him in the view of security cameras.

As for the MAGA kids, a short 10 second clip was released of a young teenage boy in a MAGA hat grimacing while a native american played a drum in his face. This video made people jump to the conclusion that the boy was mocking the native american, but in the full 2 hour video, it shows that the native american man walked up to the high school boy and played the drums in his face and refused to walk away. Meanwhile the young boys from a catholic school were verbally attacked via racial slurs and hate speech by a third party group.

The biased media was very fast to create a story and blame Trump. They called his supporters everything from “white trash” to “racist pigs”. People seeing these news stories and not knowing the full extent of the full story’s were quick to blame Trump and his supporters.

One component of the “Trump Derangement Syndrome” is his supporters merchandise. People choose to take extreme offense whenever they see someone wearing Trump’s gear. Many assaults have taken place against those wearing the hats. Trump supporters have been kicked out of schools, restaurants, stores, and even college campuses. People have gone to as far to call the MAGA hats “modern day KKK hoods.”

When Davis High Student Taylor Eldridge was asked about the Trump Derangement Syndrome, he said: “Yes it’s a real thing. People give President Trump such a bad rap when he has done so many things. People who have Trump Derangement Syndrome refuse to acknowledge the great things he’s done.”

There have been countless claims by people with this syndrome that have claimed Trump is a racist, but they have no idea why they are even calling him that. They just do it because everyone else does it too. Trump wants to build a wall along the US and Mexican border to stop illegal immigration and drug trading over the border. People saw this as a sign of hate when it wasn’t. Most politicians believe in border security in both parties, but not necessarily the wall. People see Trump wanting to build the wall as a racist decision because of the Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Trump and his supporters are seen as homophobic, but Trump is more LGBT friendly than you would think. According to ABC news, the Trump Administration has recently launched an international effort to end criminalization of homosexuals in other countries.

There is a lot of evidence that supports the existence of the Trump Derangement Syndrome, but Trump does give people reasons to dislike him. He does not have the best diplomatic skills and his immature tweets do enrage a large population of the country. But at the end of the day, it is up for you to decide: is the Trump Derangement Syndrome truth or hoax?