Davis High School track team destroys at Super Meet

Alexandra Smith

Davis High school hosted the track Super Meet on Tuesday, March 19, and Wednesday, March 20. The Super Meet is the first state qualifying track meet of the year. The track team trained really hard for this meet and is learning and working harder for future ones. There were 15 schools that showed up to the meet. Davis High School got 3rd in boys and girls.

The team did great, and many students placed and qualified. 4×100 boys got first, Ellie Lundgreen got 1st in the 3200, Kelsi Christensen got first in 100 meter hurdles, Kelsey Levitt got 1st in javelin, Hope Preston got 1st in 1600 meters, Sydney Hedquist got 2nd in 1600 meters, 4×8 boys got 1st place, Mitchell Clove got first in 400 meter, 4×100 girls got 2nd overall, Brendon Redford took 2nd in the 200, and the boys sprint medley relay took 2nd. Those are just a few of the students at Davis who placed, but there are many more from our extremely impressive team.

The school that took 1st in boys was Syracuse, and 2nd place was Herriman. The schools that got 1st in girls was Herriman, and 2nd was Syracuse. Herriman and Syracuse are now the schools the track team will be looking out for,  the new rival schools. To train against these, the track team said they will be working hard on relays and just training in general. At future meets the team will be sure to keep an eye on Syracuse and Herriman.

Thomas Hogan was on the track team earlier this year, but sadly passed away. At the Super Meet some of the Davis High track students wore green ribbons in honor of Thomas. The track team was told to find a reason to run, and if they couldn’t find a personal reason then they should run for Thomas. Thomas was supposed to be here to finish his track season, so students are now finishing it for him.