The Davis High civil rights assembly

Zoe Jacobs

One of the most anticipated events of the year here at Davis High School is happening this Thursday, March 21. The students and parents of the Davis High community have the wonderful opportunity to hear from special guests who are willing to come to our school and help us learn more about one of the most pivotal times in our country’s history: the Civil Rights Movement.

We are so lucky to be able to have the chance to hold this assembly each year and enrich our lives by seeing first hand what it was like for African American citizens growing up and living in the United States during the Civil Rights Movement.

This year Davis High has the amazing opportunity to hear from two incredible women, Dr. Valda Montgomery and Janice Kelsey, Devery Anderson, who is the author of: “Emmet Till, the Murder that Shocked the World and Propelled the Civil Rights Movement, and the Hill Air Force Base Baptist Choir. This is not an assembly you will want to miss.

Valda Montgomery lived in Birmingham, Alabama in the 1950s and ’60s, where her parents owned the only African American owned pharmacy in town. In their home they held several civil rights meetings where Dr. Martin Luther King was in attendance, and helped hide freedom riders and other African Americans from hate groups such as the KKK.

Janice Kelsey was a teenager when Martin Luther King called for the Children’s March in Birmingham in 1963. The day of the march she snuck out of her high school with her brother and ended up getting arrested for her participation in the march.

We are very privileged to be able to have assemblies like these at Davis High school, and all students are encouraged to attend.

“It’s important to learn from the past so that when we see things going on in the present we know that we should stand up and try to make a change just like these guys did back in the ’50s and ’60s.”

——- Ms. Leedy, one of the History teachers here at Davis who helps organize this assembly.

You will not want to miss out on what these speakers have prepared to share with our school, so come to the assembly on Thursday!!