Top 10 Day Date Ideas
Bella Edwards, Journalist • April 23, 2024
The Unheard Voices of MMIW
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 22, 2024
Gas Prices $$$
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • April 22, 2024

Music that is categorized as “girly” can still be enjoyed by males

By Chase Webb

One Direction, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, and even Cher Lloyd are, in most cases, classified as “girl music,” but at what point in history did we sit down and categorize them as such? In elementary school pink, purple, and yellow were all “girl colors,” but we eventually grow out of that and realize it’s kind of ridiculous to make such judgments.

If a particular artist has a legitimate voice that’s catchy or moves you, they should be proudly listened to. No one should be shy to say they listen to Selena Gomez or Ed Sheeran. Music should be accessible to anyone for any purpose. Music is a gift that can change people’s lives–who are we to decide it’s against the status quo to listen to music that’s “girly”?

Even hard rock music can be labeled male, but I know plenty of girls who proudly listen to it without a doubt in their mind. No one should be ashamed of what they listen to–music is a way of expression, not subjecting people to categorization. When girls listen to hard rock they’re considered cool, but when guys listen to “feminine” music they’re laughed at.

I proudly listen to One Direction, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Cher Lloyd, and lots more. Music is powerful and not gender specific.