Athlete spotlight: McKay Cook

Ben Haggard, Writer

McKay Cook is a notable multisport athlete at Davis high. He plays tennis and golf for the school as well as doing basketball, bodybuilding, and running for his enjoyment on the side.

McKay’s commitment to greatness has pushed him to become a very successful athlete. He has compiled several golf accolades, as well as an undefeated tennis record.

Tennis is in season right now, and McKay is an important part of the tennis teams’ goal to win every match this year. McKay and his doubles partner Brock Sheehan have never lost a tennis match.

When asked about how he is so successful at tennis McKay said, “Hard work and dedication” and then added “Having a winner’s mindset important too, Believing that every point is mine to win is a huge advantage on the court.”

Tennis is not the only sport that McKay easily dominates. McKay happens to be an amazing golfer.

McKay’s passion for golf has driven him to become one of the best golfers in the whole state. McKay was part of the team that won a state championship for Davis in 2017, and he has also been nominated to the Utah 6A all state golf team four years in a row.

Someone who is as dedicated to perfection in athletics as McKay Cook may find it difficult to find time for schoolwork. But McKay is no ordinary person. He has a difficult school schedule but still holds a 4.0 GPA.

Somehow, he also finds time to go to the gym every day. You can find McKay at Vasa after school every day. “I just enjoy working out and being in the best shape I can be in” said McKay when asked about why he goes to the gym so much.

As an outstanding student and multisport athlete, McKay Cook represents Davis High with pride wherever he goes.