Sophomore Do’s and Don’ts 

Being in high school can be both the best and the worst part of someone’s lifetime. As you look back on your sophomore year, you might regret some things or just flat-out cringe at how you used to be. Well, no need to fret anymore because here is a list for all incoming and current sophomores who need some advice. 

First, the best piece of advice that could be given to a new sophomore is to go to sophomore orientation. I know it might not seem all that cool, but it can help you immensely. It makes it so you’re not totally lost on the first day of school and lets you get a feel for what it’s like. 

“I wish I would’ve gone to the sophomore orientation because on the first day of school I was late to all my classes because I couldn’t find them.” Izzy Martinez admitted. 

The high school can seem humungous at first, but after the first few weeks of school, you get used to it and it doesn’t seem as big. Make sure you know where all your classes are beforehand because if you don’t know the layout of the school, then you’re bound to get lost. 

Social status can seem like the only thing that matters in high school to teenagers, but don’t sacrifice your grades for your social life. If you’re planning on going to college and getting a degree, you’re going to want good grades to get that degree because it’s not just going to be handed to you, you must earn it. 

A chance to improve those grades, while not spending as much time in class is to take online summer classes, they’re super easy to do and you can do it from the comfort of your own home. They allow you to work at your own pace and they begin at the beginning of the summer, and you have time until the end of the summer. 

Another word of advice is don’t cram all your studies for an exam until the night before. If you’re a professional procrastinator, you’re going to want to break that habit if you don’t do well under pressure. Because unlike jr. high, high school counts with your grades and it matters to your future.  

“Since high school really counts now, the pressure is on, and you can’t joke around like everyone did in jr. High.” James Romney said. 

Overworking yourself throughout the day is also not a good habit, because then you’re even more tired and it drains your mental and physical energy. It’s best to balance your life and use your time wisely.  

Set a schedule for yourself every day, do homework for a certain time, if you have sports or a job make sure you add those too and go to bed at the same time every night. That way you know what you need to do and what you need to get done.  

“I like to set a schedule and write all the things down in my planner for school, because then I can look ahead and know what’s coming and be prepared.” Eliza Gardiner answered. 

The last piece of advice that will do you good is to branch out and talk to people. I know that can sound a little intimidating, but you’re going to be with those people for the next few years so you might as well at least learn their names. Then just start an easy conversation, you can complement them or tell them your name. Don’t overcomplicate the simple things when meeting someone new. 

“My favorite part of my sophomore year was being in cross country because that’s how I got to know a lot of people who eventually became my friends.” Kate Larsen replied. 

Now that you know the dos and don’ts for being a new sophomore, go try them out and prepare yourself for what is going to come. Now whatever you do, always make sure to give it your all. Not just in academics, but in all aspects of your life. The earlier you learn that the better off you will be.