Leaping Into the World of Dance Company

Leaping Into the World of Dance Company

Everyone knows the Davis High drill team, cheer team, and color guard.They work hard to put on amazing performances for us at games andcompetitions. But not everyone is aware of the dance company at Davis, a smallbut amazing team and community. What you will find in Dance Company isamazing dancers and a spectacular coach. Their performances are stunning, andthey need more attention from the school.Mylee Lomax, a Davis High senior on Dance Company and in her third yearof it said, “I joined Dance Company because I wanted to join a program at Davisand Dance Company was the one that caught my eye!” If you are looking for anawesome extracurricular to put on your college application and you have dancingexperience, Dance Company is the place for you to go. You can gain experiencefrom dancing and preforming on stage with all your best friends.If you are looking for a place to make new friends and feel like family,Dance Company is the place for you! Avery Ross, a senior on Dance Company,said, “I love all the new friendships I’ve made! Everyone has been so kind andloving!” and, “You make lots of new friends and have amazing lifelongrelationships with the others on the team!” While Mylee said, “My favorite part ofDance Co. is the people!” The girls at Dance Company get so close to each otherand you can tell that their bond with each other is special. It’s not hard to seehow much they all love each other and the amazing community they have

created. Mylee also said, “I would have never thought that I would be thepresident of Dance Co. and so in love with dance. Everyone is so kind! You make30 new family members for life!”Another way that Dance Company benefits the dancers in it is pushingthem past their limits and their styles of dance. You can go in only knowing ballet,and come out being confident in modern, jazz, improv, and more. Avery said,“Dance Co. helps you improve in lots of different types of dances. And it helps yoube more confident in what you’re doing!” A big roadblock that almost everydancer faces is confidence in themselves and their ability to dance. The manystyles that Dance Company explores as well as having your team cheer you onevery step of the way gives you the biggest confidence boost. Not to mention allthe improv and choreography that you can do. Meredith Wright, the DanceCompany coach, pushes her dancers to choreograph their own pieces and helpsthem become comfortable in improv.The love for Mrs. Wright is obvious from all the dancers. Mylee Lomax said,“Meredith Wright is such an amazing human. She is so talented, loving, and silly! Ilove her so much! She works hard to create a welcoming, kind environment andso you get to know all the girls!” Being the AP Art History teacher, DanceCompany coach, and choreographer and director of Davis Preforming ArtsCollection (DPAC)’s production, “Scrooge.” All of this on her plate, and she stillmakes sure that everyone feels safe and feels like they belong in her class andteam. It does so much to add to the closeness and friendships that everyone hasfor each other on the team.On top of preforming for the school, Dance Company also participates in“Scrooge,” Davis Preforming Arts Collective’s Christmas production. Everyone onthe team is in amazing dances and helps to teach dances to the other performers.Everyone is so passionate about the production, and they want it to be the bestthat they could be. Make sure you buy tickets when they go on sale to come seethe passion that the dancers and directors have for it!Overall, Dance Company is an amazing extracurricular at Davis that islooked over far too often. Their passion in their performances shine when theydance on stage, and the school needs to support them and pay attention to themso much more! All the dancers on the team are so sweet and want the best for

each other! Make sure you support them by buying tickets for “Scrooge” and theirperformance at the end of the year!