Favorite Meals Made by My Mother
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Stop Vaping
Julia Adams, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Top 10 Day Date Ideas
Bella Edwards, Journalist • April 23, 2024
The Unheard Voices of MMIW
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 22, 2024

Spotlight on Derek Miller

Derek Miller is a teacher at Davis High School. He teaches everything Digital. He teaches 5 classes in total. Photography 1, Photography 2, Graphic Print Design, DTV, and Digital Media. I have had Mr. Miller as my teacher for a year and a half now. I had him for digital media for an entire school year and now, I’m in his photography 1 class right now for only a semester.

Sorry to any of the teachers that have had me in high school and loved me. But Mr. Miller is one of my favorite teachers, in high school, I have ever had. I interviewed him to ask him about his time in school. I interviewed him in my 4th period class because my class is right next to his class. Plus, that is his prep period.

The reason he became a teacher is because the University that he uses to work at before he came to Davis High, recruited him. He worked at the University for two years. One night, He was talking to his mom, and she told him that Davis high was hiring, he went home and told his wife and they both laughed about it. He didn’t really want to work in a high school. I mean, can you blame him.

So, he went back to work and his wife came back a few days later and told him that they should turn in his papers for the job. So, he turned in his papers to the school district and the next day, the school emailed him and told him that they wanted an interview. And then 6 years later he is still working for Davis High.

I asked Mr. Miller about what he likes about working at Davis High school and he said it was more rewarding than working at a university. He explained to me that when he worked at the University, most of the people had jobs and kids and they already know what they wanted to do with their life. But with high schoolers, they don’t know what they want to do. He wants to help them find out what they want to do when they are older. When he told me that, everything just clicked. That’s the reason he helps his students so much. Because he wants to help them grow and figure out what they want to do when they get older.

And then I got curious on how he stays so calm and positive with the students. He told me that he treats them like his own children. The fact that he treats every student like his own child is super nice. Some of the teachers I have had in high school, didn’t care if you passed their class or not. They also wouldn’t even help you on assignments and they would have you look it up on the internet instead. I get that when you don’t tell them what to do, they will learn how to do it. But when your student is struggling with an assignment, you need to holp them get what they are not. When I got into Millers, class, I felt heard and like I can get help and not feel like a burden. Sometimes I will try not to get help on an assignment so then I can learn it by myself. But, if I can’t find what I’m looking for, then I will ask for help.

I also asked his if he had the opportunity to switch schools, would he and where would he go. He said he wouldn’t leave this school. He went to Davis High when he was younger. He also went with his now wife. He knows all the ins and outs in the school. He like to tell all his classes stories from when he went to school. He tells us about what he uses to do that at school. And he tells us a bunch more stories, mainly about his family and stuff they talk about in his other classes that are funny or concerning.

Another thing I like about Mr. Miller, is he will go around and have one on one time with his students. Not to talk to them about how they are doing in his class, but to talk about what they did last weekend or what their plans are for the holiday coming up. He just tries to talk about anything with everyone. He will try to get to know you more if you don’t know you very well.

I like taking classes form Mr. Miller because he will give you extensions on assignments, he will let you turn in assignments late with no penalty, and you can come in after school and during lunch most days to let you work on assignments. And, again, if you need help, those are the best times because you can get one on one time and face to face help instead of having to look it up and figure it out on your own.

In conclusion, you should take a class or two from Mr. Miller. I have made so many new friends and have met some interesting people in his classes. His classes just attracted nice and hard-working people. He is such a helpful teacher, and he is super understanding. He is just a great overall teacher. If you don’t believe me, ask anyone who has been in his class or just experience it yourself.

I want to thank Mr. Miller for letting me interview him and giving his time, effort, and energy into helping all his students pass his classes. If I wasn’t graduating this year, I totally would have had you for another class. But to anyone who is reading this and planning on going to Davis High School or attending Davis High right now. I want you to take at least on class from him. HE is a great teacher and I promise you will learn so much.