The NFL Draft
Jordan Taula, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Please Sleep
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Best College Degrees
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • May 2, 2024

What is True Crime

What is True Crime
What is true crime?True crime is nonfiction and can be in the form of writing, podcasts, and film. Where the authorexamines the details of the crime itself, crime scene, actions of people involved, of course, the criminal.One perspective of true crime is expressed by Rachel Monroe in the newspaper the New Yorker.She said, “These days, the patchwork group of Facebook detectives, crime commentators, self-trainedDNA analysts, and curious onlookers has come to be known as the true-crime community.”Why are people fascinated with true crime?While there is not one answer for this question, there are theories. One theory is that true crimegives insight into our culture and norms in addition to anxieties and values. Morbid curiosity plays a bigrole in the interest of true crime. Morbid curiosity is defined as a fascination for unpleasant things,especially death. Similarly, people are naturally drawn to find an answer to every problem and situation.As people dive into true crime questions surface like the following. Why do they do what they do? Whatis the motive? How did they manage to do it? And most importantly, how can we use this knowledge toprevent further crimes?Jeffrey Dahmer

Likely the most well-known serial killer who took the lives of 17 boys between 1978 and 1991.
His victims were mainly black men that were found at gay bars, they were also people on the edge ofsociety. This made their disappearances less noticeable, that was simultaneously reducing the chance ofhis arrest. He lured the men in and would give them alcohol laced with drugs to keep them subduedbefore strangling them to death. Colin McEvoy stated, “He frequently took photos of his victims atvarious stages of the murder process, so he could recollect each act afterward and relive theexperience.” Dahmer’s killing spree ended at his arrest on July 22nd,1991. Body parts in the refrigeratorand photos of his victims were found, giving an irrefutable mountain of evidence. He was imprisonedand eventually killed by a fellow inmate.Alcatraz EscapeIn its time Alcatraz was the top security prison located in the middle of San Francisco Bay. It heldcaptives since the Civil War but was refortified and earned its place as the world’s most secure prison.Throughout its years it held famous inmates such as Al Capone and George “Machine Gun” Kelly.Surrounding the prison was the cold, rough waters of the Pacific. When it was refortified, toughermaterials were used. They also added guard towers, stricter rules, and a dozen checks a day perprisoner. Although there seemed to be no hope of escape, 36 men attempted 14 separate escapes.Those who were lucky were caught, the rest died trying. Though there are three inmates, that fateremains a mystery to this day.The three were brothers John and Clarence Anglin with Frank Morris. All three knew each otherfrom previous time in prison. They were assigned to adjoining cells and began making a plan to escape.Morris was the mastermind behind the planning. The three were also aided by another inmate, AllenWest.On June 12th, 1962, during the early morning bed check John Anglin, Clarence Angelin, and FrankMorris were nowhere to be found. They fooled the night guards by building dummy heads of plaster andreal human hair. The prison went into lockdown and the search began. The FBI was notifiedimmediately. The FBI states “Within two days a packet of letters sealed in rubber and related to the menwas recovered. Later, some paddle-like pieces of wood and bits of rubber inner tube were found in thewater. A homemade life-vest was also discovered washed up on Cronkite Beach, but extensive searchesdid not turn up any other items in the area.”The Coast Guard, Bureau of Prison authorities, and FBI began to piece together the plan. Inmate,Allen West, who didn’t make it out of his cell in time, aided them. The four loosened their air vents anddrilled around to be able to get out of their cells. Once out, they found an unguarded utility corridor.They climbed into the roof of the building above their cell block, this is where they set up their secretworkshop. They took turns keeping watch for the guards. They used pipes to climb their way to the roofand pry open the ventilator at the top. When they were set to escape, Allen West did not have hisventilator grill completely removed and was left behind. The rest of the escape is a mystery. We don’tknow if they lived through the escape or if they perished from the cold waters of the Bay.

Al Capone
Son of Italian immigrants, Al Capone is from Brooklyn New York. As a boy he quit school after 6th gradeand joined a gang. At the time Johnny Torrio was the leader. As Al Capone grew, he gained the positionof the right-hand man. This allowed him to step in the leadership position when Johnny Torrio wasseriously injured from an assassination attempt and retired to Brooklyn. Al Capones reputation grew ashe invalidated and eliminated mobs in the Windy City of Chicago. Over the years he has been foundguilty of gambling, prostitution, bribery, bootlegging, narcotics trafficking, robbery, murder, and‘protection rackets’. He was arrested and eventually moved to the famous Alcatraz. He served his timeand paid all fines and money owed. He suffered from paresis that came from syphilis and the time in jaildid him no good. Upon release, he was admitted to the Baltimore hospital for brain treatment. Afterthat he went to his home in Florida, near Miami. The FBI states, “In 1946, his physician and a Baltimorepsychiatrist, after examination, both concluded Capone then had the mentality of a 12-year-old child.”This explains his ability to go from a mob leader, to getting released from prison early for good behavior.Citations:https://www.law.ac.uk/resources/blog/why-we-love-true-crime/#:~:text=True%20crime%20gives%20an%20insight,is%20a%20common%20psychological%20trait%E2%80%9D.Jeffrey Dahmer:https://www.biography.com/crime/jeffrey-dahmerhttps://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/09/29/jeffrey-dahmer-victims-photos-killed/10458814002/Alcatraz:https://www.alcatrazhistory.com/famous.htmhttps://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases/alcatraz-escapeAl Capone:https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases/al-caponehttps://themobmuseum.org/notable_names/al-capone/