The NFL Draft
Jordan Taula, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Please Sleep
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Best College Degrees
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • May 2, 2024

OG Fortnite Returns

OG Fortnite ReturnsLast Friday, November 3, Fortnite Battle Royale released their new season of the game.This season is called “Fortnite OG” and includes features from a season of Fortnite almost fiveyears ago. This return to the “OG” Fortnite has brought many players back to the game and hascaused the game to reach its biggest peak of players in years. Millions of players have returned tothe game so they can experience the nostalgic feelings from five years ago.Every time Fortnite updates to a new season, the new features bring an increase ofplayers to the game so they can discover all the new additions. Some seasons are more hyped upthan others and therefore bring more players than usual. This new season has brought back somany players that the game reached a peak in the amount of people it has had playing at onetime. After the season was introduced, Fortnite had to implement a queue due to their serversbeing flooded with millions more people than they were used to.Season OG, the 45th season of Fortnite brings back elements from OG season 5. Some ofthese returning features include the old map and items from season 5. Fan favorite locations andweapons have returned with this new update to the game. The game isn’t completely identical toseason 5, there are a few elements from some of the later OG seasons and a few other minor mapadjustments. Fortnite also made the looting system resemble what it was in 2018 with the betterweapons being much rarer than they have been in recent seasons.While most of the game has been reverted, some things are different than they were fiveyears ago. There are a few more elements from newer seasons that have been carried over to thisOG season of the game. Some of these include newer movement abilities, a lower cap onmaterials a player can hold, and skill-based matchmaking. Skill-based matchmaking changes thegame most out of all these things. OG Fortnite had randomized matchmaking solely based on thesystem you played the game on. This causes players of all skill levels to play in the same matchmaking some fights against less skilled players easier but fights with players better than you aremuch harder. So, while the game is mostly how it was in 2018, players may spot a fewdifferences from back in the day.Over the last week, many people coming back to the game have been very happy with theold Fortnite features returning. Many people, and even some influencers, have been posting theirwins on social media hyping up the OG Fortnite season. Friends who used to play the game yearsago are returning to team up and land at their favorite locations to recreate old memories. Theinternet has been flooded with posts and trends about the new season.Why are so many more people coming back to the game after the update? Some peoplehave come back because they want to experience the old season again and the nostalgic feelingsthat come with it. Old players are coming back to play the game they fell in love with years ago.Although they never experienced the game all those years ago, new players are also playing thegame. These players enjoy this “OG” Fortnite and are still playing it despite it being older thanwhat they are used to.

Does the increase of players mean that this “OG Fortnite” is better than the seasons in thepast? In some cases, this is true. The OG seasons were a lot more simple than the more recentones. Sometimes, being simple is not necessarily bad. The OG seasons had a much smaller map,fewer weapons, and less complicated features. This makes it easier to focus on the game as thereare fewer things you have to worry about. It also makes the game easier to play and understand.This is one reason why the old seasons of Fortnite are so beloved by fans.These old seasons were also much more balanced than recent seasons. It was muchharder for players to get a lot of the best weapons and items in OG Fortnite. In the new seasons,players could expect to get full load-outs and be stacked as they neared the end of the match. TheOG map is also much smaller making it easier to find and fight other players. This morebalanced gameplay is more enjoyable than the challenging and sometimes unfair gameplay fromthe recent seasons of the game.When asked what he feels about the OG Fortnite, and whether he would prefer the OGseasons or Fortnite to go back to making new maps and content, Sawyer Shiner said, “I love it. Idefinitely prefer the old seasons.” Sawyer has played the game for years and experienced bothOG and new Fortnite. The OG Fortnite is enjoyed by many people who played it all those yearsago. When asked the same questions, Rhett Parker, who has only played the recent seasons said,“This one is way better. They should make new maps with the same ideals that you have with theOG season because it’s not necessarily the map that’s so much better, it’s just that the game isbalanced now with the loot and stuff. But they could make more maps as it’s balanced still.”Even some newer players who never experienced the OG Fortnite prefer it to the recent seasons.With the return of OG Fortnite, old and new players come together to experience thegame how it was years ago, making new memories or reliving old ones. This beloved game is atan all-time high with millions of players in the game. Players old and new are having a blast withthe OG map and items. What Fortnite does next with the game is unknown. Will they do morewith the OG seasons or go back to making new content? I guess we won’t know until it happens.