The NFL Draft
Jordan Taula, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Please Sleep
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Best College Degrees
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • May 2, 2024

Why School Should Start Later

WHY SCHOOL SHOULD START LATER

By Rhett ParkerWaking up early in the morning for school can be a miserable experience that all highschool students have gone through. Davis high school starts class at 7:30 in the morning, whichmany students believe to be way too early. Should school start later, or should it keep its time?There are arguments for both sides. Some reasons for keeping school at the same time are that itprepares kids for waking up early for jobs, it also gives more time for learning without having tokeep kids at school for so late. Some reasons in favor for starting school later are that it wouldpotentially be better for the student’s health, it would cause kids to be more productive, and eventhe teachers would benefit from it. Although there might be a few selling points for the argumentof keeping the time that school starts, the arguments against the normal time are much stronger.Davis School District would be smart to implement a new schedule for school that starts at alater time.Starting school too early can have a negative effect on student’s health. Horacio de laIglesia, who is a professor of biology at the University of Washington, states that “To ask a teento be up and alert at 7:30 a.m. is like asking an adult to be active and alert at 5:30 a.m.”Teenagers are simply different than adults. Teens need more sleep than adults do. The AmericanAcademy of Sleep Medicine recommends that teenagers should receive 8-10 hours of sleep.Most students at Davis High are for sure not getting 8-10 hours of sleep. If a student’s wants toget up at 6:00 A.M in order to be up and ready for school at 7:30 A.M. then that would meanthey would have to be asleep by 10:00 P.M. which is very hard to do for students. The schooldistrict should understand that students have a hard time getting to sleep before 10:00 since theyhave lots of other things that they need to do and take care of along with all the homework thatthey are assigned at school, which usually forces them to stay up all night doing. Homework ismaking the problem even worse. There are all these reasons that teenagers can’t get to sleepearly along with the fact that they already can’t sleep due to stress about school in the morningand all the assignments that they need to get done as well. Teenagers who get a lack of sleep canoften experience a lack of concentration, mood swings, drowsy driving, depression, and morenegative effects. All these effects are things that the schools shouldn’t want their studentsexperiencing if they care about them whatsoever.Fellow student of Davis High, Isabelle Koenig has this to say about whether or not ourschool should get a new schedule “Yes, I think school should start at a later time. High schoolstarts earlier than Jr High and elementary but the younger kids are almost always up and havemore energy than the high school students. Because the start times are based off of the busschedules, they should switch the order and have elementary start earlier than Jr High, and Highschool start at the latest time.” Switching around the schedules of the schools could very well bea solution to the problem. High schoolers are already having to stay up later than the elementarykids anyways. Another solution could be having all the schools start at once, this way the Highschool students could drop off their younger siblings at school while they are on their way totheir own school. Having the older kids drop off their younger siblings would eliminate stressfrom a lot of parents that are trying to get their kids to school. If you have it set up where all thekids are on the same schedule than this can make it easier for picking up all the kids as well.More sleep means more productivity in class for teenagers. If teens get more sleep, thenthey can get more energized and ready to participate in class. Because a lack of good sleep can

cause kids to be less concentrated, then you would think that the district would want to prevent a
lack of sleep due to the fact that having students concentrate and pay good attention in class is avital part of the learning environment. Schools are supposed to foster a good learningenvironment, so why don’t they push back school later so that kids can concentrate more? Thereis no clear answer to this question. You would think that the school would be eager to doanything they can to get more student concentration and productivity. Everyone knows howmoody teens can be. When teens are feeling moody, they don’t want to listen to an adult tellingthem what to do. Pushing school back would make the teens happy which means they aren’tbeing moody and rebellious.Not just students would love if school started later but teachers would too. Pushing backthe start time of school would make for happy employees and students. Teachers can do their jobmuch better if they don’t have to deal with sleepy, moody, and unconcentrated kids. Ask anyteacher, none of them want to be up and ready to start class at 7:30 A.M, and neither do the kids.It would be a win, win scenario for teachers and students if school started later. If you don’t wantto push school back for just the kids, then do it for your employees as well.School should benefit the students. We are the future generation; shouldn’t we receivebetter conditions for our health and a better environment for our productivity? Starting school ata later time would be a benefit to everyone including the teachers, parents, and students. What isstopping this from happening? Why wont the Davis School District implement a new and betterschool schedule? Do it for the good of our education. It is the districts job to better suite oureducation, so the Davis School District needs to do their job by pushing school back later.