The NFL Draft
Jordan Taula, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Please Sleep
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Best College Degrees
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Senioritis
Ryan Cook, Journalist • May 2, 2024

Ski Resorts

Ski+Resorts
Skiing is not a modern concept. In fact, it has been around since around 8,000 BC in NorthernChina. These skis were made of two-meter-long pieces of wood and were covered in horsehair. Inaddition to China, it has been found in Russia, Sweden, Finland, Norway, the most recently the US andEurope. Skiing used to be a primary skill for transportation in snowy mountains. The Great Northern Warbetween Russia, Sweden, and Norway was fought primarily on skis. Now skiing is a recreational sportand is included in the Olympics. The types of skiing in the Olympics are alpine skiing (Downhill andSuper-G), cross-country skiing, ski jumping, Nordic combined, snowboard, and freestyle skiing.Alta, an independently owned ski area since 1938, will be welcoming skiers early this year. Alta,located at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon deep in the Wasatch mountains, is opening this week.On November 17th, the ski resort offers the Alta-Snowbird Pass which enables skiers to access both Altaand Snowbasin resorts’ terrain. Alta is known around the globe for its powder skiing. With an annualsnowfall average of 547”. Being a ski only resort, Alta restricts the use of equipment other than skis foranyone who wants to ride the lifts and ski the mountain. After a long day of skiing check out all the foodoptions Alta offers. Alta has breakfast, lunch, and dinner restaurants. You can easily find foodthroughout the day at the Alta Lodge. Located to the right of the mountain, Alf’s Restaurant offersvisitors everything from sandwiches to soup to fresh baked goods. For dinner, located next door toSnowbird, the Lodge Bistro allows you to watch the sunset while having a scrumptious meal.Nordic Valley welcomes all skiers and snowboarders. This year they are cutting two new trails onthe Nordic Express side of the resort. For this winter, Nordic Valley is set to open on December 2nd. Theyhave events with the dates already released. The events include live music, film night, militaryappreciation day, a barn bash, and even Santa visiting! You can also take group and private ski classes.With 500 acres (about twice the total floor space of the Pentagon) of accessible terrain and with anaverage snow fall rate of 300”, Nordic valley can accommodate beginners, intermediate and advancedskiers, and riders.Park City Mountain is the largest ski resort in the United States with over 7,300 skiable acres.You can either ski or snowboard here. Park City Mountain is set to open this week on Friday November17th! If you get your tickets and passes before November 19th, you can save more money! Park City is notjust a resort, it offers a wide variety of winter activities such as mountain coasters, a zipline, privatelessons, shopping, snowmobile tours, and sleigh rides. With access to award-winning restaurants thatare within walking distance, you can find about anything!Powder Mountain started when Alvin F Cobabe went horseback riding with some friends in the1950’s. One friend mentioned that the land would make for a great ski resort. The idea stayed withCobabe, and Powder Mountain opened on February 19th, 1972. It began with 14,000 acres (about twice
the area of Chicago O’Hare airport). For the first season, it only offered one lift, night skiing, a ski school,and an outdoor barbeque. Now Powder Mountain is the largest ski resort in North America! It welcomesskiing and snowboarding there in addition to cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and mountain biking.Snowbasin is only 45 minutes from the Salt Lake International Airport. The Utah TransportationAuthority offers bus service to Snowbasin Resort from mid-December until the beginning of April. Thereare also shuttle services available for the skiers and snowboarders. Snow basin offers ski and snowboardterrain for all levels at the Resort. Their 106 trails are designated as 10% beginner, 60% intermediate,30% advanced. With 3,000 skiable acres and 3,000 vertical feet, Snowbasin is best known for wide-openbowls, gladded runs, manicured groomers, and excellent ski and snowboard service.Snowbird, a ski, and snowboard resort is opening this year on November 30. Snowbird also has a summitof 11,000 feet (about 3.35 km) and a base elevation of 7,760 feet (about 2.37 km), with a vertical drop of3,240 feet (about 987.55 m). For skiers and riders, Snowbird’s Mountain School is the perfect place tobuild their skill for skiing and snowboarding, offering everything from private instruction and classlessons to ski and snowboard camps. Snowbirds’ average approximately 500 inches of snowfall per year.Being the longest ski and snowboarding resort, it is usually open from mid-November through May.Taking your family? Kids 6 and under ski free, and there is a discount for seniors 65 and older. Be sure totake advantage of these to save some money!The Solitude Mountain resort started welcoming skiers and snowboarders on November 10. The resortis located 34 miles from Salt Lake City International Airport. The Utah Transit Authority standard or skibus service can take you right to the resort from the airport. Solitude is divided into two areas (whereyou can begin your ski and snowboard day), the Moonbeam and Village base areas. The Moonbeamarea is for day skiers and offers services such as the Snowsports Services office, Moonbeam Restaurantand Argenta Pub. The Village base area is home to most of the resort’s lodging and features most ofSolitude’s dining options. The article, “On the Snow,” states; “Moonbeam Express accesses most of thebeginner terrain. The Summit Express lift will take you to the famous Honeycomb Canyon as well asrugged, advanced terrain. Quality blue runs can be found off Eagle Express. Group and private lessonsare offered at the Youth Ski & Ride School for children ages 3 to 13. There is also an Adult Ski and RideSchool.”