Utah's Universities and Colleges
Britton Thompson, Journalist • April 18, 2024
The Problem with AI Music
Rhett Parker, Journalist • April 18, 2024
The Artist Kathe Kollwitz
Zoey Larsen, Journalist • April 18, 2024

Glorified occupations are not what drive our economy

by Chase Webb

Deciding what future occupation to go into is a big part of high school. People tend to focus on the jobs that pay the most or get the most glory, but they are not absolutely necessary for the well-being of society. Focusing on the needs of the world should be more important than the needs and wants of a singular person.

In society we are told to strive for the best that we can be, but for some reason that has come to mean that money is the goal. While occupations like those of One Direction, Kobe Bryant and the Kardashians are entertaining and provide these people with jobs, they are not necessary for living, like food or shelter. Just like how the stage crew in a stage production makes everything run, focusing on the jobs that are “behind the scenes” of everyday life is just as important as any other job.

Being a semi-truck driver is not the most glamorous job and they are not given nearly enough credit for what they do. If it weren’t for truckers delivering thousands upon thousands of products, the availability of most household items would be severely limited. Nearly all of the food taken to grocery stores, fast food joints and restaurants comes from the delivery of a truck driver. According to truckinfo.net, the United States economy depends on trucks to deliver nearly 70 percent of all freight transported annually in America, accounting for $671 billion worth of manufactured and retail goods.

Without truck drivers, there would be a serious gap in the economy that other jobs would have to compensate for. I think that if the country’s focus is on limelighted jobs, rather than those that truly supply what is needed, the country will fall apart from the inside out.