The NFL Draft
Jordan Taula, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Please Sleep
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Best College Degrees
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • May 2, 2024

2024 Granny Awards Predictions

2024 Granny Awards Predictions

This year will mark the 66th annual Grammys Awards. The Grammys take placeannually. This year, the Grammys will be held on February 4, 2024, at the Crypto.com Arena inLos Angeles, California. The award ceremony will start at 4:00 PM EST. Each year diverseartists from many different genres of music are nominated for the projects they released over thatpast year. Each Grammy Awards ceremony has multiple categories artists can win Grammyawards from, for being first in that same category.The Grammys started back on May 4th, 1959. This was the start of the world’s biggestand most prestigious music awards. Grammy Award Categories change and vary from year toyear. Since that first ceremony, as music has evolved more and more categories have been addedwith some categories being changed or altered. There will be 98 categories at this year’sGrammy ceremony.The numerous categories of Grammy Awards give the many diverse types of music achance to win an award every year. This also causes some categories to be more popular thanothers. These fan-favorite categories are often more hyped by fans and respected by the media.Some of the most beloved awards include Best Song of the Year, Best Record of the Year, BestNew Artist of the Year, and Best Album of the Year.The Song of the Year Award focuses on the composition of a song and the songwriters ofthat song, not a take or cover of a song. The nominees for Song of the Year 2024 are “What WasI Made For?”, “Kill Bill”, “Anti-Hero”, “Vampire”, “Flowers”, “Dance The Night”, “Butterfly”,and “A&W”. Out of these nominees, the standout picks are “Anti-Hero”, “Vampire”, and “KillBill”. “Anti-Hero” was one of the top pop songs of the year with a very catchy chorus and a goodstory. “Vampire” a pop-rock song was also very popular and includes gorgeous vocals by OliviaRodrigo in a sad and revengeful story. But the track I believe should win this category is “KillBill” by SZA. “Kill Bill” is a pop and R&B track including a story of heartbreak and revenge.This song is very catchy and the storytelling is very in-depth.The Record of the Year Award is given to a specific recording of a song and focuses onthe artists, producers, and engineers. This category can include covers or remixes as it focuses ona specific take or recording of a song. The nominees include “What Was I Made For?” by BillieEilish, “Kill Bill” by SZA, “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift, “Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo, “On MyMama” by Victoria Monet, “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus, “Not Strong Enough” by boygenius, and“Worship” by Jon Batiste. The three records I think stand out the most are “Vampire”,“Flowers”, and “Kill Bill”. “Flowers” has a bouncy beat that pairs with Miley Cyrus’s vocalsvery well. “Kill Bill” has smooth R&B vocals by SZA that pair with the chill beat perfectly. Myoverall pick would have to go to Olivia Rodrigo’s “Vampire”. Olivia’s beautiful. melancholyvocals over soft piano and catchy drums, with their slow, gorgeous lows and intense highs.Best New Artist is awarded to artists who rose to fame and impacted the music industryover the previous year. This means that you do not necessarily have to be an artist who juststarted out making music but is only determined by your breakthrough into mainstream music.The nominees for this category are The War And Treaty, Victoria Monet, “Noah Kahan, Coco

Jones, Jelly Roll, Ice Spice, Fred again., and Gracie Abrams. To me, Ice Spice stands out the
most out of all these artists. Ice Spice grew to fame early this year with her song “Munch” whichwent viral. The rapper continued to drop multiple singles and her debut album “Like..?”throughout the year. She also had a song featured in the new Barbie movie. Ice Spice had a bigimpact on the media stating multiple trends and memes.The most respected category, Album of the Year is awarded to the overall best album ofthe year from any category. The nominees for this year are “SOS” by SZA, “Midnights” byTaylor Swift, “GUTS” by Olivia Rodrigo, “The Age Of Pleasure” by Janelle Monae, “Did YouKnow That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” by Lana Del Rey, “Endless SummerVacation” by Miley Cyrus, “the record” by boygenius, and “World Music Radio” by Jon Batiste.The best albums of these nominees to me are “SOS”, “Midnights”, and “GUTS”. “Midnights”although it has high points, also has many low points. Even when compared to Taylor’s otheralbums, this is, in my opinion, the blandest one. I would rank this album third out of thenominees. Second, I would put SZA’s “SOS”. This album has many high points with greatperformances from SZA and the featured artists. While this album is much more consistent inquality than “Midnights”, it still has a couple of lows that put it in second. For Album of theYear out of the Grammy nominees, I put Olivia Rodrigo’s “GUTS”. “GUTS” is the mostconsistent in good quality out of all the options for this category. This album includes a mix ofhard punk songs and soft acoustic pop songs. To me, this album only has two tracks that arenoticeably lower quality than the rest. This album also showed how much Olivia Rodrigo hasimproved as an artist since her last project. I think that this album deserves to win Album of theYear out of the 2024 Grammy nominations.There were a few things I was disappointed with from this year’s Grammy nominations.While the music industry this year was mostly dominated by female artists, multiple male artistscompeted with them and got little to no recognition in this year’s Grammy ceremony. I was alsonot too happy with the nominees for Album of the Year. There were multiple albums that I feelare more deserving including Travis Scott’s “UTOPIA”, Metro Boomin’s “Metro BoominPresents Spider-man: Across the Spiderverse”, Iann Dior’s “Leave Me Where You Found Me”,and especially lil yachty’s “Let’s Start Here.”, and Metro Boomin’s “Heroes and Villains”. I wasalso surprised that the music video for “Doomsday by Juice WRLD and Cordae directed by ColeBenit’s Lyrical Lemonade wasn’t nominated for Best Music Video or the song itself notreceiving any nominations. This was one of the coolest music videos I have ever seen and one ofmy top songs of the year, so I was disappointed when it wasn’t nominated for anything.Overall, I feel like this year’s Grammy nominations are pretty good. I would make a fewchanges, but I was satisfied with most of the nominations. I am excited to see what ends upwinning and whether or not my predictions are true.