MLB Trades this Off Season

There has been lots of trade rumors that have been happening and many that have actually happened in the MLB recently. This is big for the MLB because it shows where players are going and how it is going to affect the teams in future years. This year is the biggest year of trades and free agency pickups in history. 

Some of the most recent trades and free agency pickups have been Will Smith the left-handed relief pitcher being picked up by the Kansas City Royals and they are paying Him 5 million for a 1 year contract. The royals also just picked up Seth Lugo a Right-handed Pitcher for a 3 year contract for 45 million dollars. Lets talk about more of the popular trades that have been going around one of the most recent trades that has happened with teams is the Red Sox and the Saint Louis cardinals Giving the Red Soxs OF Tyler O’Niell for Nick Robertson and Victor Santos ESPN Rates this Trade a C For the Red Sox’s and a C+ for the Cardinals some of the things EPSN was saying about this trade. O’Neill is an incredible athlete Originally drafted by Seattle, he reached the majors with St. Louis in 2018, but it’s all come together for him in only one season — 2021, when he hit .286/.352/.560 with 34 home runs and won a Gold Glove. He actually finished eighth in the MVP voting, which ties him with Ozzie Smith for career top-10 MVP finishes. 

Shohei Ohtani trade 

One of the biggest free agencies pick ups happened not to long ago on December 9th 2023 Shohei Ohtani Pitcher and hitter for the Angles has been picked up by the LA Dodgers and signed of a contract of 700 million dollars for 10 years which sets the highest every contract for a sports player in any sport and could be the most ever in history. A cool fact about the Ohtani contract is that to help the team he elected to defer his contract that way he gets 2 million a year for 10 years and then will receive 68 million every year for 10 more years even if he retires, he will still be getting paid. This helps the team in many ways because he is not going to be taking up any of their money and can bring more good players to the team. Just to show how much money the Dodgers organization is spending on there players Mookie Betts an outfielder for the Dodgers and Ohtani contract both together add up to more money then the whole Miami Marlins teams contracts adding up. 

Espn On Ohtani deal 

Espn wrote an article on what happened in the Ohtani deal and how much it is compared to most contracts “Ohtani’s contract is the largest in baseball history by more than $250 million, topping the 12-year, $426.5 million extension given in 2019 to Mike Trout, his now-former teammate with the Los Angeles Angels. It also easily topped the $450 million deal signed by Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes to become the largest in North American professional sports history. The $70 million average annual salary eclipses the previous Major League Baseball record of $43.3 million for Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer and is more than the 2023” Written by Alden Gonzalaz Staff writer. How Shohei told everyone was on his Instagram he said “To all the fans and everyone involved in the baseball world, I apologize for taking so long to come to a decision,” Ohtani wrote. “I have decided to choose the Dodgers as my next team.” “I would like to express my sincere gratitude to everyone involved with the Angels organization and the fans who have supported me over the past six years, as well as to everyone involved with each team that was part of this negotiation process,” Ohtani wrote. “Especially to the Angels fans who supported me through all the ups and downs, your guys’ support and cheer meant the world to me. The six years I spent with the Angels will remain etched in my heart forever. 

“And to all Dodgers fans, I pledge to always do what’s best for the team and always continue to give it my all to be the best version of myself. Until the last day of my playing career, I want to continue to strive forward not only for the Dodgers but for the baseball world.” This trade is going to change the way of baseball for a long time and is going to change the way superstars will get paid.