Snow, Sleat, and Sliding Cars

The first month of 2024 has brought snow by the inch. Following a mostly dry fall and start of winter when no snow was on the ground for Christmas many believed that this year was back to normal and would leave us with little to no snow. 

Skiing

In the beginning of 2024 there was little to no snow in the valleys and it wasn’t much better up at the resorts. With frigid temperatures and little snow those who came to Utah for the greatest snow on earth left with bumps and bruises from an icey tumble. 

Well only a few days into the new year that all changed as the bulk of the United States has been hit by multiple long and heavy snow storms opening up the Utah ski scene with new life. This was up until Martin Luther King Jr day when one of the most popular learning hills in Utah Nordic Valley was closed due to a fire in its decades old barn.

Traffic

Utah is home to notoriously bad drivers when the roads are clear, add snow and now there is an even bigger problem. With the sheer quantity of snow that has been dumped on the states in only a couple of weeks black ice, slick slush, and whiteout conditions have left the Utah roads as a drift track resulting in many wrecks and spin outs. The Utah Traffic Operations Center stated that with the impact of snow on the roads the amount of incidents on the roadways increases by more than double.

The UHP or Utah Highway Patrol has posted many cases where Utah drivers still hit the freeways at over triple digit speeds endangering both their own lives and those around them.

So, as you decide to hit the roads this winter, Slow and Steady will keep you off the shoulder.