Davis High Dette’s

The Dette’s have had a great season competing against all 6A teams. Each year theDette’s keep improving and consistently place well at competitions. On top ofcompetitions the Dette’s also perform at football games, basketball games, and at theend of the season get to go on a trip to either Disneyland or Disneyworld and performthere as well. The drill team this year there are 38 Dette’s and 5 coaches.Recently the Dette’s went to the state championships on February 2, 2024. Thecompetition was held at Utah Valley University in Provo and the 6A competition beganat 10 a.m… Every team comes to the competition with 3 different dances. The threedifferent routines are a military routine, a dance routine, and a show routine. A few daysbefore the state finals there were semi-finals which you compete to make it to the statefinals. The teams in 6A that made it to the state finals were Davis, Farmington, Layton,Bingham, Pleasant Grove, Corner Canyon, Copper Hills, Syracuse, andAt the state finals the first dance competed is the military routine. Every team does itand depending on their lineup is when they go out on the floor to compete. Militaryroutines consist of splits, handstands, kicks, sharp movements, lifts, partner stunts, andmore. Some of the things listed are required in the routine to get the highest score youcan possible and other things aren’t. The military category is traditional to drill team andhas been done for years. Each year there are various improvements when it comes tonew ideas that are put out on the floor to impress the judges. At drill competitions thereare 6 different judges that judge you based off their opinion and if the team executes allthe requirements of the judging sheet/criteria. This year the Dette’s got third overall intheir military routine at state. This specific dance did well all season and even at one oftheir qualifying competitions got first place.After the military category is the “dance” category. This dance consists of turns, leaps,lifts, tricks, performing, and more. This dance is the most difficult to be in because of thedifficult turns and tricks that must be executed. This year there were 16 Dette’s in thisdance at state. The song that they did their dance to was Shallow by Lady Gaga andBradley Cooper. A big part of the dance category is being able to tell a story to thejudges through your dancing and your facial expressions. At the state finals the Dette’sgot fourth for their dance routine.The last category competed is the show category. This category is different than theother two because each team gets to pick a character and portray that in their dance.This year the Dette’s chose to be Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games. The showcategory is a hip-hop category and there aren’t as many requirements as military anddance, but a few are to have a partner trick, portray your character, and have tricks inthe dance. It is so fun to see each teams’ different characters and it’s something that theaudience looks forward to at drill competitions. In previous years the Dette’s showcharacter has been Sherlock Holmes, Jekyll and Hyde, Spiderman, X-men, and more.

The Dette’s got 5th in the show category at state and did well with this dance all season
long.After the show category there are the awards to hear what placements, each team gets.This year the state champions were the Farmington Nixelles from Farmington HighSchool. They got first in each of the three dances. The second-place team was theMinerettes from Bingham High School. Bingham High School had been the statechamps previously for the last 3 years and Farmington High School broke that streak.The third-place trophy went to the Lancelles from Layton High School. Fourth placewent to the Dette’s from Davis High School, and 5th place went to Pleasant Grove. Atstate they announce the top 5 and none after that. In each category going in order ofmilitary, dance, show, the Dette’s got a third, fourth, and a fifth. In the previous year’sDette’s got fourth place overall in 2023, and third place overall in 2022.The drill season is year-round, but the competition months are December, January, andFebruary. Tryouts for the team are usually towards the end of March and practicesbegin right after tryouts. Through April and May practices are only a few times a week.After school gets out then the Dette’s begin to work on routines for football halftimesand start to learn their competitions routines. In the summer the Dette’s go to a campwhere they learn a few of their football halftimes and get to take technique classes fromcollege dancers and other dance teachers. When school begins is when the Dette’sstart to focus more on their other routines to get ready for competition season. Mostweeks Dette’s spend 20 hours working hard on their routines, conditioning, andperforming.Each competition dancers will compete at 3 different qualifying competitions. What youplace at those competitions the teams are ranked on a scale known as an RPI. After thethree competitions teams head into the region. This year the Dette’s got third overall inthe region. Scoring from region goes onto the RPI as well. Depending on where you areranked on the RPI you would then go onto quarter finals and compete at that, and thenif you make it through that head on to semifinals. Dette’s this year averaged fourth onthe RPI, so they didn’t have to go to the quarter finals they automatically got sent tosemifinals. The quarter, semifinals, and state are all held at UVU. This year the Dette’sat semi finals competed against Farmington, Riverton, and Fremont, high schools. Outof the four teams the judges pick two of the four and those teams head into state. Thoseteams were Farmington and Davis.Overall, the Dette’s had an amazing season. Drill is continuing to grow and so are theDette’s.