History of Dear Ol’ Davis High

History of Dear Ol’ Davis High
Davis High School has been a part of our communityfor a very long time, with this year marking one hundred andten years, opening in 1914. Many students’ parents,grandparents, and maybe even great grandparents attendedDavis High as a student, making it a beloved generationalschool. We really know how to keep the traditions high andstrong.Kaysville is the geographic center of the county, whichinspired Davis High to be just about two hundred yards awayfrom the exact center. When it first started out, it was the onlyhigh school in the district, thence making it even more special to the community. Kids throughout theentire county from North Salt Lake to Sunset and South Weber attended Davis High until populationsgrew and grew, sparking more and more high schools all throughout the county and Utah. First startingout, the school was named Davis County Central High School, made from brick and stone in a small, two-story building, built by the architect, William Robert Allen. There were two classroom levels plus an atticand a basement. The opening year had an extremely low student body with a graduating class of justthirty students. And in 1911, the school district only held around two thousand students total, but quicklygrew into sixty-seven thousand students in 2011. Davis county has been growing ever since it was born.The student life at Davis High did not start out all sunshine and rainbows, in fact, all four classesdidn’t come together until October 26th, 1914. Before that, the Juniors and Seniors were sent to Bountifulfor their classwork, while Freshmen and Sophomores started their schooling at Kaysville City Hall. Whenthe school was officially finished, the students recall doing their schoolwork while the workmen wouldbusy themselves clearing away the debris on the new grounds. Yet, after a few years of adjusting to thenew excitement, Davis High became our golden high school. In 1915, the first year of Debate had startedwith four young men participating, but during 1917-1919, there were no Debate Teams due to the war andthe flu. However, the D-Club was founded in 1917 which held the purpose of creating loyalty toward theschool, to honor the athletics and spirit of the school and unite the members of the club in a fraternalbond. 1918 held the first big social event, the Junior Prom. It was a prom decorated with a beautifullystrung latticed canopy of purple and white and magnificent luring strains of real jazz music throughout thehalls.The original Davis County Central High School building didn’t last forever; in 2004, after ninetyyears, they tore the initial school down. With the intentions of creating a bigger, brighter, and better futureto carry on the adored traditions of Davis High. You are still able to see the earliest versions of thebuilding in the front entrance and the entirety of the auditorium, with some modifications. Sadly, we werenot able to keep our traditional “D” from the very start of the first building, but fortunately kept themosaic “D” placed outside the old office from the Class of ’53, where it now sits by the newadministration office today.Knowing the history of our Dear ol’ Davis High School, makes me treasure our school lore evenmore. We are rich with tradition, honor, and pride; the mob is a place that brings friends together while

defending our mark. It’s easy to come to school and get bored of the routine, or the common feeling most
seniors, including myself, known as senioritis. Everyday is the same, with the same windowless halls, thehalf-broken laptops, the loud buzz throughout the school, and the cold dark early mornings. Nonetheless,it’s three years we will never get back and never forget.I can’t deny the agony of waking up and crawling out of my warm blankets to sit in anuncomfortable metal chair all day, but it doesn’t beat the feeling of laughing my head off with my bestfriends, ditching class to get a sweet treat, asking the “no such thing as stupid questions”, and so muchmore. My brain cannot comprehend high school ending in barely three months, I keep imagining thedifferent classes I’m going to take next year, and then remember there is no next year.It’s frustrating how magnificent Davis is, since it offers so many different classes and activities astudent can take. We are known not only for our outrageous academics but also for our incredibleathletics. Being one of the top schools in the nation is cool but puts you under immense pressure. And ofcourse, Davis High knows how to succeed, trying our best is something that comes easy.“In 2014, after one hundred years as a school, we build our future by honoring our past. Onething that will never change is the pride that alumni take in this great institution and all that it stands forbecause it has helped shape the lives of thousands of former Darts.” (Dee L. Burton, Class of 1964, 2014.)Davis High School is a place students come together to not only learn and grow, but to evolve and shapethe future into something marvelous and indescribable. We are the future of Kaysville, of this country, ofthe world, and Davis is where we learn how to better that future.So, I know high school isn’t the place you crave, but Davis High School will always be the placethat welcomes you. Our history is long and thick, but learning it makes you appreciate it more. Defendingthe tradition is what we know best at Dear ol’ Davis High School, and it is what we will proceed to do tillthe end.https://www.ksl.com/article/29814938/4-famous-davis-high-alumni-from-the-last-100-yearshttps://www.deseret.com/2004/3/8/19816452/book-to-document-davis-high-historyhttps://www.deseret.com/2004/3/8/19816452/book-to-document-davis-high-historyhttps://schooldesigns.com/Projects/davis-high-school-reconstruction/(And yearbooks from the library)