Favorite Meals Made by My Mother
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Stop Vaping
Julia Adams, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Top 10 Day Date Ideas
Bella Edwards, Journalist • April 23, 2024

The Artist Kathe Kollwitz

The Artist Kathe Kollwitz
Kathe Kollwitz is one of my favorite artists of all time. KätheKollwitz, née Schmidt was born in Königsberg on July 8th, 1867.She was the fifth child of Carl Schmidt and Katharina Schmidt, néeRupp. She is a German artist often known for her woodcuts, shealso did etching, painting, sculpting, printmaking, and more.Kathe’s father started to recognize her talent at a very youngage. Although it was not common for females to be successors, hedecided to break the mold and put Kathe in lessons. It was thanksto his open mind that she was able to get the training she had.Her father signed her up for her first art lessons in Königsbergwith the painter Gustav Naujok and the copperplate engraver RudolfMauer. She studied under these artists for five years. In 1886, she

traveled to Engadine, where she met Gerhart Hauptmann and Arno
Holz, two naturalistic writers. These two piqued her interest in thisform of art.After she came back from her trip, she enrolled in a paintingclass for portrait studies at the Berlin Academy for Women Artists.She studied under Karl Stauffer, who introduced Kathe to MaxKlinger’s etching series, Ein Leben. Ein Leben is a series she drewmuch inspiration from. In 1887, she took painting lessons from EmilMeide, who had a focus on historical subject matter.In 1888, she enrolled in nude painting classes at The Academyof Women’s Arts, where she was able to study live models andhuman anatomy. Around this time, Kathe began to develop a largeinterest in the naturalist plein and women’s rights. She started toexplore her own way of art and expand on gender issues.She would intentionally depict working-class life in everydaysituations. It was later explained that her inspiration for this subjectcame from Max Klinger’s essay on art theory, Malerei undZeichnung (painting and drawing). This essay strengthened herdesire to explore representations of the negative side of life andfurthered her desire to create graphic art.In 1891, Kathe married Dr. Karl Kollwitz. These two werehumble people and wanted a simplistic lifestyle, so they moved intoa small flat where they would live for the next 50 years, until thesummer of 1943. They had two children, Hans Kollwitz (1892-1971)and Peter Kollwitz (1896-1914).Kathe’s son, Peter, was a volunteer in Belgium during the firstoutbreak of World War 1. Peter was unfortunately killed shortly afterat the young age of 18. This was devastating for Kathe. She

expressed her grief for the loss of her son through her art. She
made woodcuts of the fallen soldiers and depictions with her andher son.These series blew the world away. She was able to conveygrief in such a devastating way. She did these works as woodcuts,and the way she used the grain of the wood combined with theexpression of these people was breathtaking. You can truly feel thegrief she felt.During this time, Kathe Kollwitz became a pacifist. Thedevastation of losing her son, combined with her desire for a betterworld, created some of her most moving works. She created manyanti-war pieces, but they were different from what you may picture.She focused on the people and the way they were being affected.She showed what it is like to be struggling behind the scenes. Shewanted to tap into people’s emotions and show the true effect of theworld’s actions.Kathe Kollwitz is one of my favorite artists because she showsthings how they are. She strips back the layers and reveals whatmany people are too afraid to reveal. I think the way she peeledback the layers is also why she was such a success in her anti-warworks. While other people focus on what is right in front of them, likeworks showing their hatred for the government or depictions ofpeople fighting, Kathe shows the people at home, the working class.I think this was able to hit the world in a different way.Not only was she an amazing artist, she was also an amazingperson. She dedicated her life to helping others. She spent the lastof her years doing all she could to better the world, and her husbandwas the same. Dr. Karl Kollwitz was an extremely well-educateddoctor who could have made a lot of money, but he would take

hundreds of patients in for free. Whether it was because they could
not afford it or because Germany’s government would refuse totreat them, he did not care. He believed everyone should be takencare of.I hope you can see the life and works of Kathe Kollwitz asinspiration. She did what she loved and made a difference. If we allhad a little bit of this brilliant women’s mindset, the world would be abetter place.