The Problem with AI Music

Artificial Intelligence is getting scarily good at music. AI is advancing rapidly; it keepson getting better. While on the surface it may seem cool how good AI has gotten at music, thereare more scary layers to the issue. AI making music raises many concerns such as itsauthenticity, creativity, ethical implications, and the stealing of music. While AI can do somevery impressive things musically, there is a risk that there will be a loss of unique musicidentities. When humans make music, we bring in our culture and out experiences into the musicso that it will emotionally connect with other humans. Music is an art made by humans and forhumans. AI can try to replicate the art of music, but it will always be missing the most importantpart, human connection.Authenticity is a large problem for AI music. AI has the ability to analyze massiveamounts of data and to mimic different music styles with incredible accuracy. However, theability of AI raises the question on the originality of the music it creates as well as the emotionaldepth of it. AI music lacks the personal experience and emotions is brought to music by thehuman touch. Humanity is the driving force behind creating art. Lack of authenticity can result inmusic that feels mechanical and devoid of soul.Another area of concern regarding AI music is the creativity. AI algorithms can makeharmonies, melodies, and compositions, but the creative process involves more than justcombining patterns and structures. Creativity in music often comes from the human experience,emotions, and the imagination, AI lacks all these elements. Therefore, AI music struggles tocapture depth and nuance that real music does. AI cannot innovate music; it can only copy.The ethical implications of AI music are questionable. As AI becomes better, there willbe more concerns over copywrite issues, ownership of AI music, and possibly plagiarism. Theuse of Artificial Intelligence to replicate or imitate artists’ styles can raise questions on theartistic integrity and the value of artistic expression. There are many examples of AI copyingspecific artists to try to make songs using that artist’s identity and individual style, this is a majorproblem for the music industry. As AI gets better it will be able to more successfully steal artistsstyles and even voices so that it is indistinguishable.AI in music is a problem that needs to be dealt with. The risk of AI music has negativeimplications for human art. AI music can do many cool things but it losses all unique musicalidentity. Reliance on AI can dimmish diversity, creativity, and originality in art. It is hard toargue for the ethics of AI music, given that it can be considered stealing. Perhaps, there could beethical guidelines put in use for AI, this could maybe save the future of the music industry as AIgrows smarter over time. Ai can attempt to take out melodies, harmonies, notes, and otherelements of music, but it can’t take our humanity.