Spring Play brings relatability to student lives

Sarah Earnshaw, Reporter

“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun,”Mr. Darcy, a character in the story, Pride and Prejudice, said. Ally Hoffman, a student actor within the play, finds this to be one of her favorite lines.

Pride and Prejudice is a novel written by Jane Austin that was adapted into a play, which the Advanced Theater will perform beginning March 5. They picked the play when Andra Thorne, the school’s drama teacher, saw Sense and Sensibility this summer. Hoffman said that Thorne “loved it.” Thorne revealed her choice the Advanced Theatre class by gifting the students a Christmas present with the script in it.

“Honestly, it’s a lot like our life nowadays, and that’s what’s great about Jane Austen, it’s that she writes in a way that encompasses our everyday lives and…makes them entertaining and exciting. Our lives aren’t some great war stories where we’re fighting battles and taming dragons. It’s just our everyday lives and she [Austin] encompasses that and makes it entertaining for our everyday lives,” Mallory Barlow, an Advanced Theatre student, said.

“I think that it’s very relatable to some of us because we’ll be going through school. It’s halfway through my senior year and I’m in the middle before I knew it started,” Hoffman said about the play, relating to Mr. Darcy’s quote. “I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.” She stated that the play isn’t just about the romance and friendship, and that there just might be more to the play.

“The thing about Pride and Prejudice is it’s so realistic to us and it’s so what we live in today instead of something far off like a Dystopia kind of thing. It’s-It’s real,” Hoffman said. The play isn’t just about the story. Hoffman believes that there is just more to the story than what’s straight up and down. She sees between the lines.

“Each of them [the characters] has a unique perspective that they show to the story and that they add to the story. Even Lydia, the scandalous little sister, has such a significant part and she’s so present with the whole story. Then you have Mr. Darcy who is prideful but sincere, and you have to work around the different aspects of each character.”

“There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I really love and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense,” character Elizabeth Bennet said. Barlow spoke about this quote and also said, along with the play, “I love how real and honest it is.”