Pet Peeves annoy students

Grace Mathews

Carter Erickson, Reporter

The best guess for when a habit forms or is broken is when an action is performed regularly over a period of 21 days. It may take a shorter or longer time than that for some, but the average is around 21 days, Shulamit Widawski of quora.com says.

Teachers are not exempt from these habit formings. These habits that come naturally to most teachers are often points of dislike for most students. The teachers themselves sometimes see them as ‘teaching tools,’ but students do not.

Spencer Plummer, a student at Davis, has a differing opinion. “They give the same assignments out…that like mean the same thing but are worded differently.” Oftentimes students feel this way about repetitive actions that teachers do, but this isn’t the only thing that students seem to find a bit annoying.

Many teachers develop certain things they do while teaching that affects the students around them, that not being the teaching itself. “I hate when teachers make us ask to use the bathroom,” Matt Brown, a student at Davis High said.

Teachers may think that they’re teaching in the best way they possibly can, but even things they don’t say may be a pet peeve of students. “Like, when the teacher taps his marker on the board, that one bugs me.”

While it may seem to the students that the teachers are doing these things on purpose, habits, such as calling the class by an odd collective name, giving out similar assignments, or even making people ask to go to the bathroom, most people (teachers included) don’t even realize that they are doing these things so often because it is a habit.

Habits involve more than just bad. Habits may have a positive effect. So, while some habits teachers have may be large pet peeves of many students, they may just be the way that students learn from these teachers as well.