Students no longer rent graduation caps and gowns

Adam Aposhian

As graduation nears, seniors everywhere prepare by taking senior pictures, designing graduation announcements, and ordering caps and gowns. However, it can be a big ask for students to buy clothes that they will only wear once.

Jostens has a contract with Davis School District to provide “graduation amenities,” which includes caps, gowns, tassels, class rings, graduation announcements, honor cords, and diplomas. Honor cords and diplomas are purchased by the school, but students pay for the other optional products they want.

However, the biggest expectation for students is that they will be decked in a cap and gown when they are handed their diploma.

“They moved several years ago to a purchase-only [policy],” Debra Hall said. “Once in a while we’re able to work with Jostens if there’s a real need, but we usually can find one for them to borrow.”

Several years ago, students were given the option of renting the gowns, but that is no longer available.

“It was a school and company decision. The price only changed about 3 to 5 dollars from renting to purchasing.” Hall said. “The company felt like then they didn’t have to be to every school’s graduation to collect them, get them dry cleaned and ready to go for the next year.”

The Jostens sales representative for Davis High School, Bryan Durfey, confirmed that the price from rental to purchasing only changed a few dollars. He also cited trouble with cap and gown collection after the graduation ceremony.

“A lot of [the reason] is for the after-graduation experience,” Durfey said. “Students would take off their gowns inside, but parents want to take pictures outside.”