Foreign exchange student experiences Davis High

Audrey Landheim

Natalie Lott, Reporter

School programs differ all around the world. Diana Weidmann, a foreign exchange student has been learning this as she attends Davis High. She is from Germany, a country whose school system is different than our own. “Here it’s high school, one school for everyone and in Germany it’s three different schools” (Weidmann).

Germany’s school system is unique to the world, this is because the school system are leveled to fit different learning systems.

“After the 4th grade, they are separated according to their academic ability and wishes of their families, and attend one of three different kinds of schools: Hauptschule, Realschule or Gymnasium” (German School System).

There are differences between the schools and how they teach. Still, all three schools teach the same subjects. Hauptschule schools teach at a slower pace, they focus on getting the kids ready for jobs. While Realschule and Gymnasium teach at a faster pace and with the intention to get their students prepared for higher education. While having 3 schools is very unique to the world, Germany’s schools have some similarities to Davis High.

For one, the school day starts and ends at roughly the same time as ours. The day normally starts at 7:30 a.m and ends at 2 p.m. The breaks, also, last about the same amount of time. There are still the beloved holiday breaks, as well as a 6 week summer.  Other than this, the school systems are very different. To learn more about the German school systems check out: http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/germanschools.html.