Senioritis Impacts More Than Just Students

Happening near the end of the year, Senioritis is a major problem among students, as they tend to neglect their schoolwork in favor of more desirable ways to spend their time. While it is a big problem, it’s hard to put a finger on where students get it.

“I think it’s a lot of you’re already accepted into college, and you’ve already done three years of high school. Plus fourth term GPA doesn’t affect much, and you’re almost done and people are graduating and getting mission calls, and you’re just done,” senior Joel Foster said.

While it may seem that teachers would get frustrated with their students for being so distracted near the end of the year when tests are just around the corner, many understand what students are going through.

“I remember what it was like to be in high school, and even to be in college. I think we need to keep it real, we need to keep it enjoyable. I think we can compromise and meet students halfway,” English teacher Mr. Spencer said.

While teachers may feel the need to lessen the workload near the end of the year, many students find ways to deal with the many distractions that arise, and keep up with their schoolwork.

“When you get distractions thinking about the future you just ruin your chances of having a good future, because if you’re distracted about what you’re going to be doing in two years then you’re not going to be thinking about what you’re doing now and that could affect what you’ll be doing in two years. So just staying in the here-and-now helps,” junior Parker Hicks said.

With the end of the year just around the corner, students are trying to keep their grades up while juggling the many distractions that come with the end of the school year. Teachers can help with the work load, but ultimately it is up to students to do their best academically as they transition into life after high school.