Procrastination Continues to be Teenage Option

Anthony Coombs

Tori Waltz, Segment Editor

During the end of the school year, it is common for even some of the best students in the school to fall into the anxiety-filled trap that is procrastination. Waiting until the last available moment to complete an assignment, study for a test, or make it to class before the teacher calls roll is a trend seen in many students as the year progresses, particularly seniors.

“Usually it’s not something they want to do, like homework, so they would rather wait than getting it done when they probably should,” Sophomore Kaitlynn Pierce said.

Procrastination can be the result of a variety of attitudes including laziness, rebelliousness, and fear of failure, leading a person to put off responsibilities and obligations until the last possible minute. Although there are some more extreme cases, studies show that likely everyone at some point has experienced a mild sense of procrastination in their lifetime.

“I remember when I was in high school I always waited till the last second to do my homework. It didn’t help my stress ever but I did it anyway,” Psychology Major Seth Chambers said.

There are many remedies that can help prevent procrastination with students including a renewed focus on organization and schedule planning. Studies have found that by breaking work loads into small increments instead of saving it all for one sitting helps anxiety and efficiency immensely.

“If students can figure out a time schedule that works for them, maybe splitting up homework for certain days or just finding a way to motivate themselves more in school, I don’t think they wouldn’t procrastinate as much,” Chambers said.