Election Day Brings New Mayor to Kaysville

Bentley Holley

20130128_RTD_CANDIDATE_153.jpg RTD candidate Spense Havlick (not pictured) listens to a question by Longmont City Council member Katie Witt during a public forum hosted by Boulder County Commissioners, Friday, Jan. 28, 2013, at the Boulder County Courthouse in Boulder.
(Matthew Jonas/Times-Call)

Matthew Jonas/Times-Call

20130128_RTD_CANDIDATE_153.jpg RTD candidate Spense Havlick (not pictured) listens to a question by Longmont City Council member Katie Witt during a public forum hosted by Boulder County Commissioners, Friday, Jan. 28, 2013, at the Boulder County Courthouse in Boulder. (Matthew Jonas/Times-Call)

Jaedon Johnson and Brock Saxey

In the coming months, we are expecting a big change to the way that Kaysville is run. Mayor-elect, Katie Witt, expresses her confidence in pursuing her idea of a better Kaysville.

“I just looked at what needed to be done and I realized that I…knew how to do it,” Kaysville mayor-elect Katie Witt said.

In preparation of being sworn in, Witt already has several affairs in action, preparing herself and council members for the coming years.

“There’s a lot of process things that I’ll be tweaking in order to make the work go more smoothly,” Witt said

Current mayor, Steve Hiatt will step down from his position the coming January in which Katie Witt will take his seat. Witt is proud of the service that Mayor Hiatt provided but is still eager to begin taking care of the city.

“I’ll probably be doing things a little bit different from my predecessor,” Witt said.

Witt has a long-term mindset. While she argues that current Kaysville is already a wonderful city to live in, it could do with some extended goals and projections in order to ensure that Kaysville only gets better, rather than falling into decline.

“The big thing that I saw we could improve on: a strategic plan. What’s Kaysville going to look like in 10 years, 20 years? If you don’t have a plan, you’re not going to get the results you want,” Witt said.

The biggest aid to Witt’s preparation is citizen participation. Witt stressed how vital citizen voices are to reaching resolutions to issues that exists within local government.

“I would love to see us to do more study sessions in order to allow for more residents to come and have a voice early on in the decision making process,” Witt said.

All together, it is clear to see that Kaysville should prepare for change with new authority taking the reigns in the coming month.

About the Contributors
Jaedon Johnson, Reporter
My name is Jaedon Johnson and a senior and SBO here at Davis High. I am an avid guitarist and an enthusiastic writer. In my free time, I enjoy being creative and whatever that entails. I am an incredibly odd person. I talk to everybody, probably to their mental breaking point. And yeah, that’s about...
Brock Saxey, Reporter
Hi I’m Brock! Not Barack, there’s a difference! I enjoy crisp high fives and casual political banter. This is my first and last year at D-TV!
Bentley Holley, D-TV Producer
Hi everybody! I’m Bentley Holley, and I’m the D-TV producer this year! I love this program and everything that it is. I love listening to music, being with my friends on staff, and I love the way video editing allows me to see something come together from start to finish.