The Pledge is coming back

Every school day, students begin their morning with something a little different this year–the Pledge of Allegiance.

A bill passed by the Utah State Legislature, through Senator Aaron Osmond, states that “the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag shall be recited once at the beginning of each day in each public school classroom in the state.” Every school in Utah is now required to follow this law each morning, which also requires the Pledge to be student led, by a volunteer.

“The law is to increase our own awareness of how blessed we are to live in this country,” said student body officer Liz Ashby. “[It gives] students an opportunity to take initiative to be a leader and give everyone a chance to reflect on what our country is and how many people give service.”

This law has been a new start for many people at Davis High. Band director Steven Hendricks says, “It only takes one minute and it’s a great way to get the day going, better than a Diet Coke. I don’t drink Diet Coke though.”

One concern of saying the Pledge every morning is the chance that it could devalue it. Debate teacher LeeAnn Hyer said, “it’s important to be patriotic but I fear that it could be too repetitive. It shouldn’t be something people run through.”

However, students can continue to recognize the meaning of the Pledge when they recite it. Senior Nekel Knowlton said, “I think that it is a good law because it reminds us of our freedoms and heritage.”

Ashby agreed with Knowlton and said that the new law is “good for our country. Last year they were just words and now [that the law has been changed] I think about our country more and our country deserves it; it is such a blessing.”