Wrestling season outlook

Wrestling preseason 

The Davis high wrestling team has been very solid for many years. After having their first year ever where they haven’t had someone place in any boy weights, they are looking for revenge this season and have been putting lots of work in the preseason. Coach Bo Roundy has been putting the boys to work having practices 3 times a week every week for all the off season. Tryouts for the season start on November 6th and the season ends in February. The Darts have never had to have tryouts but due to illness spread in the wrestling room last year they have limited it to 38 kids on the team. 

Davis vs Layton rivalry 

The Davis Layton rivalry has been going on for a long time along with every sport that we play them in. For a long time, this rivalry has been very close but in recent years Layton has become a powerhouse in Utah last year having 3 state champions and 9 more people placed. They are ranked number 1 in the state but many of the kids who won state are gone. Every year the Davis Layton rivalry continues, and it will be at Davis high school this year on January 10th. 

Freshman Wrestling Up 

This year the Darts have multiple Freshman who are going to wrestle with the team. Austin Ellis the number 1 ranked freshman in the whole state of Utah. Also having Shepard Stevens son of Skyler who is a 2-time state champion at 190 and 215. He has been wrestling his whole life and has put lots of work in and it will pay out later. Austin is a 4 ½ star athlete on track wrestling with a record of 97-12 and having 45 pins he has also had 35 techs and 5 majors. Having the Freshman come up to the high school is always difficult because the kids come from the junior high and have to get rides to almost everywhere they go and getting to practices. 

Questions 

We asked some of the wrestlers on the team what they do to prepare for a match. The first kid who we asked was Luke Edgington a senior who has wrestled up since he was a freshman having a winning record every year at varsity. We asked him what you do to warm up before a big match he answered with “I usually saw a prayer in my head to help me not be scared and know that I am prepared.” We also asked him what the best part is about being on the team “He said that meeting new kids every year and just being part of the team.” The next kid we asked was Teague Derr who is a sophomore who has done very well so far, his favorite part about being on the team is “getting to wrestle new and better kids” the thing he is most excited for this season is seeing how well he will do.