SBO Candidates have Vandalized Posters

by Jake Pastrana

Elections can be a scary thing for the candidates running for Student Body Officers. Putting posters in front of the whole school to see with the candidates faces on it for people to openly judge to add to this people have been trashing their posters.

“Personally I’ve made sure all of my posters are high enough so they wouldn’t be easily accessible, ” said candidate Jon Downs. “These are high school students–there’s always going to be some vandalism. I feel bad for the people it’s happened to. It’s kind of offensive for the people who are putting themselves out there,” Bailey Burningham is one of those people.

“I’ve noticed posters that have been ripped down. Some of them have had inappropriate things written on them; including my own,” Burningham said. “Somebody wrote on my poster, but it didn’t have to do with me–it was just inappropriate.” Because the vandalizers are anonymous, it is unclear the reasons why the vandalizing continues to be a problem.

“I think it’s probably insecurity. Or maybe they’re just judging those people and have to find some way to lash out. Sometimes people just do it because they think it makes them look cool in front of their friends,” Burningham said. “they [the vandalists] take away the candidates hard work just for their moment of gratification, said Downs. “I think they are just jealous.”

“Be respectful and polite to each other.”