Favorite Meals Made by My Mother
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Stop Vaping
Julia Adams, Journalist • April 25, 2024
Top 10 Day Date Ideas
Bella Edwards, Journalist • April 23, 2024
The Unheard Voices of MMIW
Brooklynn Hixon, Journalist • April 22, 2024

Fantastic Mr. Fox Movie Review

Fantastic Mr. Fox Movie Review
From the beloved author of all our favorite stories like Matilda, BFG, and Charlie andThe Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl strikes again with this oneofakind story, “Fantastic Mr.Fox”. In 2009 it was made into a movie, directed by Wes Anderson and cowritten by NoahBaumbach. Its an incredible stopmotion animation about a Fox who made a mistake and nowmust fight to protect his family, friends, and home. Starring George Clooney as Mr. Fox, withouthim this movie would not be what it is today, his voice perfectly fits the character and all Mr.Fox stands for. To most it will seem like some silly, comedic fox, but after reading this you’ll seethat it is much more than what people see.“We’re all different. Especially him. But there’s something kind of fantastic about that,isn’t there?” When saying this Mrs. Fox played by Meryl Streep, points to her husband,indicating that even though he’s different than anyone else, he’s still himself and that’s perfect toher. Mrs. Fox has some wisdom to her words, why is the box for inclusion so small? In highschool there are things you must check off to be considered “cool”. Things like having a cool car,or being able to stay out late, having the latest fashion trends, or even having the prettiest face.Theres no reason to base others off what they have or who they hang out with, no matter whatthey still have feelings. The ‘Golden Rule’ is a recurring theme within this movie, “Treat othershow you want to be treated’. You cannot expect someone to be nice and hang out with you, ifthere is no effort put in on your side. People will be excluded and lonely in many differentsituations, all one has to do to help them feel less lonely is to be nice and make a new friend,what’s the harm in that?“Why a fox? Why not a horse, or a beetle, or a bald eagle? I’m saying this more as, like,existentialism, you know? Who am I? And how can a fox be happy, without, forgive theexpression, a chicken in its teeth? Mr. Fox says. With everything that he’s done he still feels notgood enough. It’s completely common for people to feel this way, to feel that they aren’t worth itwithout something significant. For a lot of people this object is something physical, like hair, ortheir eyes, just something that makes them, them. A lot of times this can be a positive thing,something personal like an experience they went through. Mr. Fox feels this, he made a mistakeof going back to his fox ways and risked everything that he loved. She goes on to tell him thathe’s so much more she says, “You are also a husband and a father.” Mrs. Fox goes through greatlengths for him to see that he’s not just some wild animal. But as the movie progresses, he canrealize that he can forgive himself for it, and at the end he notices that this experienced changedhim in a way that anything else could not.“In the end, we all die. Unless you change”. Change is a common trend within thismovie, character need to accept that somethings will never be the same, that friends come but

that doesn’t make them less your friend. Mrs. Fox says this to her husband, she is reminding himthat yes, he will die, just like his father. But if he tries, he wouldn’t have to be just a “Fox”. In themovie two characters, Agnes and Kristofferson, begin to complement each other saying, “I likeyour ears. Agnes says, “Thank you! I like yourspots.”, “Really? I used to cover them up, butyou know…” Through this we can truly see thatwhen change takes place your truly able toembrace and love who you are no matter theflaws. Just like Agnes, accepting what bothersyou, moving on becomes so much easier. Thischange in her life made her more confident, andhappy. Mr. Fox is trying to change his familysituation throughout the movie and get his familyto have a better home with a view. So, whentalking with his wife he says, “I don’t want to live in a hole anymore. It makes me feel poor.”Said Mr. Fox. “We are poor. But we’re happy.” Replies Mrs. Fox. Again Mr. Fox says, “Honey, Iam seven nonfox years old. My father died at seven and a half. I don’t want to live in a holeanymore, and I’m going to do something about it.” Taking the initiative Mr. Fox can learn moreabout himself, friends, and family. When not happy with his life he leaps on the opportunity forchange, even though he makes mistakes and its very trial and error, Mr. Fox was able to reach hisgoal. If there’s a will there’s a way, no matter the obstacles, change is only a few feet away.Highschool can tear people down throughput the years, over and over making people feelthat what others think is the most important. Mr. Fox brings this idea to life by saying, “I think Ihave this thing where I need everybody to think I’m the greatest. The quote, unquote. ‘FantasticMr. Fox. And if they aren’t completely knocked out and dazzled and kind of intimidated by me,then I don’t feel good about myself.” The social standard in the world is if money and your statusnot high enough people will push and belittle you every chance they get. Not knowing anythingabout you, they’ll begin to assume, and rumors will spread like a wildfire, no matter how hardyou try to fix the situation, people will not listen. Basing your confidence off others is not ahealthy way to live, and Mr. Fox refuses to be less than what people see him as. Risking hiswhole life, and the life of his family, it finally knocks into his head that no one cares. No onecares if he’s dazzling, or intimidating, or even fantastic. To them he will always be a fox, so whypush it into their head when they refuse to see?For 1 hour and 45 minutes, the Fantastic Mr. Fox movie can bring life and fun tocharacters once written by Roald Dahl. Following these hilarious characters like Mrs. Fox, Mr.Fox, their kids, and friends, we can see how much love and determination truly exists betweenthem. On the outside the movie appears to be some silly stop motion children’s show, but bydigging deeper we can see that it means a lot more. Theres messages about change, and aboutloving yourself, but there’s also messages about how no matter what. Being able to see these

lessons one can find a way to connect to the movie on a deeper level. The most important lessonthough, is to always know that someone will always find you fantastic.