Student Spotlight Kash Gates

Davis High School is full of unique and talented individuals. Much of this talent can be
seen on the Davis High Football team, the region 1 champions. The team has multiple region
one 1st team players, State second team players, and the region one MVP and all state first team
Kash Gates.
Kash Gates is a senior at Davis High School. He plays Football and Lacrosse and began
running track this year. He starts varsity in all 3 sports but focusses most of his time on football.
“I can’t remember a time I didn’t play” Kash Gates said referring to football. “It’s one of
the most important things in my life”. Gate’s love for football can been seen in his daily life. He
spends much of his time either on a field or in a gym.
Kash Gates has been working with a personally trainer since a young age. In the off
season Gate’s spends 2-3 times a week with him perfecting his skills. This includes strength
training, field work, plyos, speed training, etc.
During the season Kash shows a strong work ethic and love for football at team
practices. This hard work earned him a spot as one of the four team captains for Davis High
School Football. Kash plays Wide Reciever and Safety, this means he is almost always on the
field.
Kash Has been doing this for two seasons now. However last season was tragically ended
short after tearing his ACL and MCL at the beginning of a game against Layton High School. This
injury can be dangerous to athletes, leaving many with life long problems.
However a combination of a good surgeon, and hard work brought Kash Gates back
stronger than ever this season. He was able to earn his starting positions back as well as a spot
as team captain. Then he proceeded to go out and prove he earned these positions.
Kash would be rewarded for his hard work and great season by being named the region
one MVP after Davis High School Football won the regional championship. Davis would go on to
beat Weber in the playoffs and lose to lehi in the next round.
Gates would be named All State First Team at the end of the year. Now that Kash has
finished his final season of highschool football he is now looking towards college. He has
received multiple Division 2 Offers as well as a preferred walk on position to Southern Utah
University.
However he is optimistic for more and is putting in the necessary work. Gate’s recently
joined the Track and Field team at Davis High School in order to Improve his speed in this off
season. He is also spending time with his personal trainer and playing lacrosse.
While Kash puts most of his focus on football he also is a very talented lacrosse player.
He did not play last year, his junior year, due to his knee injury. However he was offered a
starting position a long pole, meaning defense, for when he returned.
Senior year Kash had decided to return to lacrosse and earn his position as a starting
long pole on the Davis High School Lacrosse team. You’ll be able to watch him and the rest of
the team play this spring.
Beyond athletics Kash is a beloved member of the Davis High School community. He has
always put his best foot forward when it comes to his education. “It’s important to step up in
school not just to have that good GPA, but also because it teaches you lessons such as
accountability and hard work” Gates Responded when asked about the importance of working
hard in school.
Kash is close with many of his teachers and has been able to maintain a good a GPA
throughout school while having such a busy schedule. Senior year Kash has yet to receive a
grade below an A. He mentioned how school never came to easy to him so if he wants a good
grade he has to put in the work for it.
Kash is also a friend to many students at our school. Every teammate Kash has played
with has nothing but good things to say about him. He is quick to include ones who are left out
and makes a point to help those on the team.
Beyond Football Kash is a part of a close friend group he has had since Junior High
School. “Friends are important to me, I see them as the family you get to choose.” Gates said
when asked about the importance of friendship.
Kash is also a family man. Kash spends much of his time enjoying activities with his
parents. Recently he attended an archery tournament that him and his dad signed up to do
together. Over the summer he spent a lot of time golfing with his Mom, Dad, and Grandparents.
In the winter he enjoys skiing with both his Parents and his Friends. Kash is also a
talented skier but didn’t get to enjoy the winter last year after his injury. Kash is part of a ski
group called Jermon that he helped create.
Jermon is ski/outdoor industry brand him and friends started. “big shout to Jermon,
Remember the name Jermon, and always remember Me and Ryan are the best in Jermon”
Gates said excitedly when asked if their was anything left he had to say.
“Remember that this time of your life is meant to be enjoyed so enjoy it, but now is also
the time to build your habits, so learn to work hard and earn the things you dream of
achieving.” Gates added as advice to incoming freshman.
Kash Gates is a unique individual with much to him. This short article failed to dive
deeply into him, however it would take much more than an article to tap every corner of kash’s
personality.
This creative, talented, and unique induvial is someone
that represents Davis High School well and truly
embodies what it means to defend the tradition.