Gas Prices $$$
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • April 22, 2024

Same-sex Marriage Causes Controversy

by Emily Richardson

A variety of issues face the United States today. Among the most controversial is same-sex marriage, in which citizens and politicians are debating whether or not it should be legalized. This issue has risen all throughout the nation. The people of America, including students at Davis, are developing their own opinions about it.
    Senior Ryan Tanner said, “I think our community is trying to be accepting but maybe a little too tolerant of the situation.” As a result of the recent debates, several Facebook fights have broken out in regards to opposing opinions on same-sex marriage.

“The Facebook fights get pretty heated,” said senior Kayli Edgington. “I don’t think your opinion needs to be put on Facebook for the world to see.” Tanner agreed, acknowledging that  the Facebook fights are a waste of time.

As of Jan. 2013, nine states have legalized same-sex marriage, while California recognizes it on a conditional basis after briefly legalizing it in 2008. Edgington said that, “they need to have the Federal Government have the power over this and not give it to the states. It should be more federal because we are all equal and it should be a decision for the country.”

In a dominantly religious community, opinions are often influenced by personal religious standpoints. Tanner, who is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints explained that his church has a document released in 1995 called “The Family: A Proclamation to the World,”  which states that, “children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity.” Tanner doesn’t think, “anyone should be denied that privilege.”

The debate still continues as to same-sex marriage and there is question as to when the issue will be completely resolved. Edgington said that, “hopefully ten years from now they will have a final decision as to who can be married and who cannot be.”