The NFL Draft
Jordan Taula, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Please Sleep
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 2, 2024

Fashion of Shoes

The fashion staple of a person outfit is often time their shoes. Some of the most popular shoes now are the Nike dunk low, Air Jordan 1, Air Jordan 2, Air Jordan 3, and Air Jordan 4. Along with many others. As we look at years past the sneaker industry changes by the month. We saw just a few years ago Kanye and Yeezy come to life only to die out to the hype of the Nike dunk in 2020. Around the same time of the Yeezys another popular shoe was the futuristic running shoe and lately people have been into the chunky dad shoe. The big and bulky new balance have been on the rise.

Let’s being with in the Nike dunk a shoe that has been around for decades is it just now gaining hype. No, the Nike dunk ever since it releases has been a popular shoe. When it first came out it was a basketball shoe. That is why most of the color ways are named after colleges. Kentucky, St. John, Michigan, and many others. Then the Nike dunk became a skate shoe. Yes, a skate shoe it was taken over by the skating industry because they like the leather construction with the flat soled, hard rubber outsole. After this happened Nike took the input from the skaters and made the Nike dunk SB. This was Nike dunk with a puffy tongue, a thicker padded heal and over all just a more padded shoe compared to its older brother. The Nike dunk has gone through many waves of hype and its latest one was in 2020 where we can now see it dying down. But it has done this many times in the past and we can just assume that it will come back.

Another shoe that has always had its fair share of popularity is the Air Jordan. The Air Jordan one was Michael Jordans first signature shoe and believe it or not he hated it. He said that is was uncomfortable and not a good basketball shoe. After the Jordan 1 came the Air Jordan 2 and it was a total train wreck. MJ hated it and after this shoe he almost moved to adidas. It wasn’t until Tinker

Hatfield, the father of the air max, came in and saved everything. Tinker was the person who designed the Air max one. Which is arguably one of the best air maxes of all time. But Tinker was hired to designed the Air Jordan 3 and he knocked it out of the park. He did such a good job on this shoe that Michael Jordan decided to stay with Nike. And to this day I believe that the Air Jordan is the best looking Jordan ever and one of the best shoes ever. Regardless of MJ’s hate for the Jordan 1 it is still a top seller and has been for a long time. We have seen over the past few years the Jordan brand is pumping these things out. From original colors ways to aged colorways to collaboration to complete wild patterns. So people believe that the Jordan 1 hype is dying but they continue to sell out every single time. So I believe the hype is still there. One of the most hyped up Jordan release over the past few years have been the collaboration with Jordan brand and Travis Scott.

Collaboration sneakers often are the most hype sneakers of the entire year. Over the past few years, we have see collaborations with Travis Scott, Jay Balvin, Union LA, and many others. These shoes always sell out and often the resell value is through the roof. Many of these companies will choose the Jordan 1 as there shoe of choice because it has been the most popular.

The Air Jordan one isn’t the only shoe that has a rain on popularity on it. Its younger brothers the Jordan 3 and Jordan 4 are both shoes that have seen a major rise in popularity due to the chunky sneaker coming into fashion. These shoes always have high retail ad resale values on them. It is believed that the Jordan 3 is what saved Jordan brand from dying out.

So how did these basketball shoes become a staple in streetwear fashion. They were a fashion piece as soon as they released, they were worn of the court and off the court all the time. This was honesty because Michael Jordan was the best basketball player of all time. The people wanted his shoes for that reason. It got to the point where people were being beat up over a pair of shoes because they were so sought after. The iconic basketball shoe has always been a staple in the fashion world.